• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Non Domestic rates demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Domestic rates demand

Hi,

Apologies if this is a wrong section for this.
    Long story short - 3 years ago me and a friend owned a small company and rented a space. Company was re-sold later.
    Now, 3 years later i have received Non Domestic Rates (business rates) demand notice from that council where business was registered.

1. Why are council only pursuing me and asking to pay charges for the whole company (there were 2 directors)?
    2. We rented space from someone else, who apparently didn't pay the rates, or told us at the time that rates were outstanding.
    3. Dates for the rates are incorrect - as they date from 09.2011 - 07.2012 and i left the company (resigned) in 01.2012.
    And lastly - the new owner, who purchased company from us, agreed that all debts (we had 2 small loans,rent for 1 month, etc outstanding) will be paid by him as he purchased company with all the debts.

Let me know if this makes sense and what are my options.
    Many thanks in advance, any feedback is appreciated. Positive more than negative
    Tags: None

Re: Non Domestic rates demand

Was this a LTD company ?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      Was this a LTD company ?
      Yes it was an LTD company

Comment

Originally posted by winnie-uk View Post
        Yes it was an LTD company
        Anyone?
        Thank you

Comment

if he rates were in the name of the LTD company you should not be liable I wasn't when my company went bust and rates were owed

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            if he rates were in the name of the LTD company you should not be liable I wasn't when my company went bust and rates were owed
            Thank you wales01man.

I suspect directors signed tenancy contract as TA (trading as) Company Ltd.
            Second question - name on contract and name on Demand has errors? Still enforceable?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X