• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Insurance unexpected charges are unfair and unrealistic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance unexpected charges are unfair and unrealistic

Hi I really need advice about my sons autosaints car insurance policy and the £1350 charge they have added without our consent to my premium credit loan amount (that Was created exclusively to pay car insurance in monthly instalments.) apologies for how long my post is ...

My son was 17 yrs old when I obtained him car insurance through autosaints We are both named drivers on his policy... I projected that his projected annual mileage would be 7000 he has a black box recorder so they are aware of the mileage and also monitor his driving - that has been marked as excellent throughout the whole policy - on the 9th of June this year my son recieved an email from autosaints advising that he had driven 3000 miles over his projected mileage and they estimate he will need 10,000 more before his policy ends amounting in a whopping £1350 increase to his payment plan

when I spoke to them they said I had been made aware of the charges and it is what it is if you don't decide by following Monday they would cancel insurance, my son has to already pay £230 a month He only had 4 months left to pay the balance of £654 now payments will be near on £500 a month He totally can't afford, nice lady at autosaints said i don't have to have 20,000 miles I could have 1000 miles at £99.78p per 1000 and that I had already had 3000 extra so even if I wanted to get another 4000 that would cost me 99.78x 4 plus an extra payment there and then of £162 ! deposit for buying them ? When I took out the policy in December I already paid £439 deposit ? With a total amount payable by me of £2507.34p ? I don't know wether I should have not rang and let them charge me an extra £1355 for adding extra 10,000 miles or pay £100 per extra 1000 miles of which my balance would already be £300 for the miles I have already driven so if I add another 3000 that would be £600 plus £200 deposit I feel totally helpless as they had given me until Monday at 6 pm to make a decision.
    The following day my disabled father was admitted to hospital and further discharged to my home to convalesce whilst being given treatment for TB, and me being his 24 he a day carer, as a result, not an excuse I didn't contact insurance and had it in my mind I would seek advice on the matter from citizen advice but never managed to find the time to sort it out.

However yesterday I recieved a text from premium credit notifying me that autosaints had increased my loan amount to £3876 and as I have 2 instalments left they are £945 each my son earns 650 a month as an apprentice chef that he has almost completed and he cannot afford these payments can I cancel my credit agreement and insure him with carrot insurance that have quoted £1402 for a year with projected 20,000 miles
    He turned 18 3 weeks after policy started but I'm still the person who is liable for whole shabang

Thanks for reading hope you can help x
    Tags: None

Re: Car Insurance unexpected charges are unfair and unrealistic

I would like to add The insurance has been running since 9 December 2014 and up until beginning of May they were still requesting pictures of mine and my sons driving licences I recieved about 15 emails and two letters saying his insurance would be cancelled, each time, if I did not provide them. I sent them over and over again and requested confirmation each time but no response until another threatening letter or email arrived, eventually they recieved adequate pictures I was told the insurance policy certificate would be sent via emai - it still has not been provided --also it does not state in their original terms that I recieved in January that excess mileage would be chargeable nor the extortionate price list for them ... It does not state if me or my son had to share the 7000 miles I had projected or that we had 7000 miles each to project through out insurance it also states that it may not be possible to add costs of any mid term adjustments would have to paid at the time of the change.

Comment

Their terms and conditions clearly state:
      • Should the vehicle exceed the projected annual mileage during the course of their insurance, the Policyholder must purchase additional miles.

Whether or not they told you what the charges were I can't say.
      Premiums are calculated partly on projected mileage, and if you underestimated to the extent he completed the projected annual mileage plus 50% in the first six months, yes there will be additional premiums.
      The mileage is the vehicle's mileage, not the driver's.

Whether or not it is worth cancelling the policy and ending the credit agreement? You need to find out how much premium the insurers will require, what their cancellation terms are, how much Autosaint fees for cancellation are, what their commission retention will be and what terms the finance company offer for early settlement.
      You can then compare with your alternative insurance.

Comment

Ok thank you for advice although one last question Does it matter at all that They changed their terms in March 2015 to what it says above and it doesn't state that in the terms I was given... I also have a quote from alternative insurance for £1402 with 20,000 miles for the year nearly as cheap as the extra miles from autosaints ! !

Comment

the terms you were given are the appropriate set............. do you still have a copy?
          Cheap insurance rarely is

Comment

Yes I have the original terms they were sent to me on the 6th of January 2014.
            My premium credit state that they never charge a cancellation fee so the charges would be from autosaints. If any use i can send a picture of my original terms however will have to be tomorrow as I'm not at my house right now :-) kindest thanks Hayley

Comment

It would be helpful if you could post up your copy, (suitably redacted of course)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X