• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with a default?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a default?

Hello, new to the forum.

To cut a long story short, I had 5 debts in 2009 that i was struggling with.
    I entered into a debt management plan and continued to increase the monthly amounts as my employment improved, always well over the agreed amounts with the creditors.
    In 2012 I was due a bonus with work, I had a 2 accounts with mbna one was for 2 thousand and one was for 300 pounds.
    Sharing the bonus out equally allowed me enough money to pay the smaller card off completely.

On the 15th of May 2012 I requested the actual figure and discussed that I was due a bonus and would like a settlement figure, on the 13th of July having finally recieved my bonus i paid the account off.

On the 11th of June and the 4th of July I made my regular payments whilst waiting for the bonus.

Now Unfortunately a few of the creditors showed my credit file as default at the start of the debt management plan, which i accepted as my fault and lived within my means and improved my employment.

These defaults all dropped of my experian file this year, but on inspection i have found that mbna defaulted me in 2012 as they state I missed the settlement date.

I need to improve my credit file as my joint mortgage holder is terminally ill and I will need to re work my finances when she passes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Help with a default?

Hi welcome to LB,
    I'm sorry to hear of your "partners" condition"

This is a problem that occurs quite frequently when offers are made and not followed through the quite properly defaults the account.
    Was the settlement offer made at a later date? If it was the only chance I think is to seek a " gesture of goodwill" from MBNA citing the unfortunate and tragic circumstances surrounding this matter.
    Getting defaults removed has become increasing more difficult recently the ICO has amend it's views on defaults and how they are applied etc.

If you would like help with a letter to MBNA please let me know.

nem

Comment

I would very much like any assistance you could provide,

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
        I would very much like any assistance you could provide,

Many thanks
        Ok I'll draft a letter here for you later today.

nem

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
            Now Unfortunately a few of the creditors showed my credit file as default at the start of the debt management plan
            This isn't "unfortunate - it's good for you that they did this as the defaults have now vanished!

You could now argue with MBNA about the exact dates when you paid this settlement, but this probably won't help you much as even if they remove the default, the settled debts will remain for 6 years from the settlement date, showing AP (arrangement to pay) markers. Although this is better than a default, it would be even better if the debts just disappeared completely.

So the best thing to do is to ask MBNA to correct the default date on these debts so it is back at the start of your DMP - this post explains how to ask the lender and how to go to the ICO if the lender refuses: http://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-default-date/

Comment

Hi David I'll PM you a little later.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X