• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disability Discrimination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability Discrimination

Good Evening

May i please ask foor some advice as i am seriously worried as to what may happen to me with my employers, i work in the transport industry and as you can imagine having a good field of vision is essnetial, my problem is i have partial sight and i am registered as partiallly sighted and up to now my employers have been fantadtic and accomodated my in to my current position retaing my salary.

I have over the last few months been suffering with a decline in my vision and i have been informend that within the next 10 years i can expect to have no useful vision i find i am struggling in my current post and i have applied for a vacant position that will put me in a safer environment, i have asked for reasonable adjustments to be made but the reply i got from the most senior manager was the position is open to everyone on an equal basis and they wish me well in my application ,as they have not accepted that i have asked for reasonable adjusrtments i have withdrawmn my application as i cannot compete on an equal basis and i have askefd them to arranger a medical review which is to be this Friday, i am pretty sure i will be stood down due to my visual disability and i fear i may be forced to accept ill health payoff, can i make a claim a for disability discrimination as with adjustments i could have carried out the post advertised without any problems at all

Regards
    David
    Tags: None

Re: Disability Discrimination

Hi [MENTION=36391]Stillo[/MENTION]

I'm not sure you may ask for reasonable adjustments to be made for a job you don't actually have. If you had continued with your application and been successful your employer would then have had to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate you.

IMO - based on the information you've provided - you haven't been discriminated against.

Perhaps someone else may disagree but in the meantime I wish you all the best with your medical review.

- Matt
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

I agree with Matt.

Whilst you have the right to reasonable adjustments to an existing job, that doesn't extend to giving you a different job.

Some employers may consider redeployment but they are not obliged to. It was a mistake to withdraw your application for the other job, can you ask for it to be reinstated?

What adjustments to your existing job have you asked for and why is there doubt about whether you have asked for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Stillo View Post
        Good Evening

May i please ask foor some advice as i am seriously worried as to what may happen to me with my employers, i work in the transport industry and as you can imagine having a good field of vision is essnetial, my problem is i have partial sight and i am registered as partiallly sighted and up to now my employers have been fantadtic and accomodated my in to my current position retaing my salary.

I have over the last few months been suffering with a decline in my vision and i have been informend that within the next 10 years i can expect to have no useful vision i find i am struggling in my current post and i have applied for a vacant position that will put me in a safer environment, i have asked for reasonable adjustments to be made but the reply i got from the most senior manager was the position is open to everyone on an equal basis and they wish me well in my application ,as they have not accepted that i have asked for reasonable adjusrtments i have withdrawmn my application as i cannot compete on an equal basis and i have askefd them to arranger a medical review which is to be this Friday, i am pretty sure i will be stood down due to my visual disability and i fear i may be forced to accept ill health payoff, can i make a claim a for disability discrimination as with adjustments i could have carried out the post advertised without any problems at all
        There is a duty to make reasonable adjustments for a candidate applying for a job when they are required for the purpose of the recruitment process, for example if you had to attend an interview at another location, they'd have to make sure you were able to access the interview room. That's why you often find such questions on job applications, however, it looks like in this case there was no need for special adjustments to be made in order for you to apply for the job as such. If you had been offered the job, then there would have been a duty to make reasonable adjustments to allow you to carry out your job.

What made you think you cannot compete on an equal basis?

Comment

Good Morning

Due to my limited eysight i can no longer work in the place i do now due to the lighting conditions, the lighting conditions cannot be altered due to it being a mainline station and i feel i will have to be re located, there are very very few posts i can do within my industry and to be perfectly honest i think i was clutching at straws the time has come for me to be let go on ill health,i was just trying to hold on as long as possible.

3 years ago i was in the department that the vacancy exists in doing a different role when a re organisation took place i was the only person who could carry out my particular role and i was dispalced with a severe eye condition that affects both eyes and my role given to someone else in the same department who i had to train to carry out my duties which nearly left me unemployable until i saw a so;licitor who thought i had grounds for disability discrimination, as soon as i mentioned this everything possible was done to find me a role which is my present role,had i been left in my last role i would now not be in this position.

I know from what happenend 3 years ago i would not be given any chance of getting the position i applied for so there was no point in going any further, i will see what happens at my medical and go from there, thank you for your replies it is very much apprecieated

Cheers
          Stillo

Comment

I wish you the very best of luck.

Comment

I would say the manager needs retraining, a disabled person ( eq act 2010) does not have to be on an equal footing.

You could tell your employer the circumstances and ask that you be given the vacant position without competitive interview.

People without full knowledge of the equality act will think it unfair to non disabled persons .

Has your employer conceded to you having a disability under the eq act 2010,

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
                I would say the manager needs retraining, a disabled person ( eq act 2010) does not have to be on an equal footing.

You could tell your employer the circumstances and ask that you be given the vacant position without competitive interview.

People without full knowledge of the equality act will think it unfair to non disabled persons .

An applicant with a disability does have to be on an equal footing with other applicants. The purpose of making reasonable adjustments is to ensure that disabled applicants have the same (equal) opportunity as non-disabled applicants. It is not to give disabled applicants an unfair advantage.

The employer is not obligated to offer the vacant position without a competitive selection process.

- Matt
                Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post

Indeed that's not the case, s.13(3) of the Equality Act states that treating people with a disability more favourably than those who are not disabled does not constitute direct discrimination: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/13
                  (3)If the protected characteristic is disability, and B is not a disabled person, A does not discriminate against B only because A treats or would treat disabled persons more favourably than A treats B.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                    Indeed that's not the case, s.13(3) of the Equality Act states that treating people with a disability more favourably than those who are not disabled does not constitute direct discrimination: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/13
                    Is that not what I said ? the manager is stating the above to be untrue.

Also a reasonable adjustment under the act is to allow a person with a protected characteristic to not have to undergo a competitive interview .

Also bear in mind the case where a non disabled police officer was removed from his post to allow a disabled person to have his job.

Comment

Sorry Parrot, reading this again, I think you may have been pointing out to Matt, that he is mistaken.

Comment

Thank you both.

Please note that what I actually said was the employer is not obliged to offer the vacant position without a competitive interview. The reasonableness of doing so is for the employer to determine after taking various factors into consideration, which clearly we are not privy to.

- Matt

Comment

The employer would have to be careful as not providing a reasonable adjustment would lead them to disability discrimination.

A tribunal would decide whether it was a reasonable adjustment not the employer.

Comment

Again, whether the employer has acted in a discriminatory way depends on the reasonableness of the adjustment. I disagree with your second statement - initially the employer determines what it considers reasonable in the circumstances. An ET may then confirm whether the adjustments were in fact reasonable.

- Matt

Comment

I give up...................

The manager in the original post is not aware of the eq act and needs training.

The Op needs to study the eq act and not take notice of the one line answers given on here.

A good book on the subject is disability discrimination by karen jackson and linda banerjee.

Also a study into past cases will help.

Chief constable of south yorkshire v Jelic (2010) irlr 744 (eat) is a good start.

Firstly has the Employer conceded that the OP has a disability that is the main hurdle.

I'm not going to continue offering advice or adding to this post, I have said what position the OP is in, if he chooses to listen to false info then so be it.

....................................end........... ..............

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X