• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Local council business rates issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local council business rates issue

I would be very grateful for some advice/guidance re an issue which has just arisen.
    I started negotiations in September 2014 to purchase an empty industrial unit to run my car maintenance business from.
    On the 6th February 2015 contracts were exchanged and I finally became the official owner. I immediately contacted the local Valuation Office Agency, who came and measured up and then sent me a "Notice of Alteration to The 2010 Rating List". This confirmed my Rateable Value and the "Effective Date of Alteration" as the 6th February 2015. The local council set up my Non Domestic Rates as from the 6th February 2015, which I have been paying monthly without any problems.

In the last few days I have received another "Notice of Alteration to the 2010 Rating List" which has amended the "Effective Date of Alteration" to the 15th September 2014. I spoke to the Valuation Office who very quickly pointed me in the direction of the local council Business Rates Dept. I had a conversation with the Business Rates Dept who asked when I occupied the premises and who my solicitors where who acted for me in the purchasing process.

I confirmed that as the seller of the unit was living in Somerset I had to make arrangements on 3 separate daily occasions for to acquire the keys for the unit from an agent acting on behalf of the seller. This was to enable my Bank's Valuer to carry out a valuation report, and on another occasion for an Asbestos Report to be carried out, again for my Bank's requirements to facilitate my Business Loan. One final day was for a builder to brick up 2 doorways which my Bank required so as to agree my loan. Finally, I confirmed to the Business Rates Dept that apart from these 3 days the premises where un-occupied.

Sorry to be so wordy, but surely if I took ownership on the 6th February 2015 I should not have received this amended Valuation Office Notice. Any views etc greatly appreciated.

tiswas01
    Tags: None

Re: Local council business rates issue

Hi. Write or email the council. Formaly state the date u exchanged contracts and purchased. U dont owe the nndr for before then unless you occupied it. Councils systems for desling with changes of occupation are terrible at some councils... especialy if after december each year
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Re: Local council business rates issue

Hi Crazy council
      Thank you for your very quick reply.
      Shall do as you suggested. Spent eon's of time on the phone yesterday between the two bodies
      Thanks again

tiswas01

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X