• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

a cautionary note to all long term carers , now ill.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a cautionary note to all long term carers , now ill.

Hi

I am a long term carer for the past 21 years, juggling and dropping too many balls in the air and floor for too long.

It is a sad statistic that caring and poor health , go hand in hand. It has for me and I wish I had a friendly warning back then , rather than a neurologist putting his arm around my shoulder saying " he is your husband , take him home and do your best".

I now have widespread fibromyalgia , a thief in the night, who creeps into your body and slowly pulls you down , it can , in my case, be so slow, you hardly notice, or your medical professionals never even mention it as a possibility. Then , wham , its here. suddenly you join up all the dots and everything comes into place.

i posted recently , while claiming carers allowance , i wanted to return to work and was told by a consultant and GP , returning to employment would make the FM and CFS worse. I asked for that in writing. They did. 11 months after making a claim for esa i was awarded it and put in the support group. now with that in place, no longer on carers allowance , only underlying entitlement . we are worse off financially as a result . Our help with housing costs had been reduced , and thankfully , we did challenge the bedroom tax , and won , if we hadn't we would be in dire straights and a further 25% would be reduced. we would then be facing eviction.

If the public believe that being ill , disabled or being at home caring is an easy option, ( lets face it the political propaganda has been working) .. by all means take my "welfare" ..but have the crap too. ..strokes, heart attacks, blood clots , lung disease, fm, cfs, chronic pain that never ever lets up etc... and the financial impact. be my guest.

so if you are caring , please take care of your own health too, if you are ill, check out your entitlements first, before you go down that route. I thought I did, but i was wrong.
    Tags: None

Re: a cautionary note to all long term carers , now ill.

Well said and I really feel for you and do know where you are coming from.
    I have just received my old age pension, carers allowance stops then too as apparently you can not claim the two although you can play both roles.
    I also know while in receipt of CA if I ever claimed sick pay that would stop as you apparently you can not be sick and care, another load of bull.

Comment

Re: a cautionary note to all long term carers , now ill.

yes enaid and what a shed load of bull it is too! thing is, as you age, and for most carers , thier health suffers too, so therefore the needs become greater , for both. Carers assessment ? and flexi working ? increase in carers allowance ? 50p ? raised the threshold to £110? big deal..not! its all political rhetoric , which does not reflect the reality. and with this shower in, its going to get worse. it will all end in tears.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X