• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial uk ltd / MBNA - 22-5-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot Financial uk ltd / MBNA - 22-5-2015

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 22-5-2015
    Amount approx: 4506.51
    Claimant: Cabot Financial uk ltd
    Solicitor: Mortimer Clarke solicitors
    Original Credit: MBNA

Particulars of Claim:
    By an agreement between MBNA () & the Defendent on or around 01/10/1999 ('the Agreement') agreed to issue the Defendent with a credit card upon the terms & conditions set out therein. In breach of the Agreement the Defendent failed to make the minimum payments due & the agreement was terminated. The Agreement was assigned to the claimant. The CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 4241.51

Stat Barred? No

Have sent:

Other Info:
    Currently on maternity leave, looking after my disabled father. Picked up letter yesterday from my home address. Rung the courts did not get through and I Logged on to money claim and found that Judgement had been entered against me on the 15/06/15.

Is there anything I can do? Prior to this I was paying a token payment monthly which broke down earlier this year as currently not working and I had to use all my money to keep my mortgage and council tax updated.
    Please help
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial uk ltd / MBNA - 22-5-2015

Welcome aboard

Did you acknowledge the claim and/or submit a defence?

Were you aware that a claim had been issued or did you just find out? Was it sent to your usual address but you've been staying at your dad's?

You may be able to apply for set aside but the court would look at your reasons for not responding to the claim as well as the prospect of a successful defence to the claim.

Comment

Thanks for responding Flaming Parrot.
      I have been away so post has not been checked until this week. So, no I was not aware that claim had been issued. I have not done anything until today when I logged on to Goverment Portal and found out a judgement has already been awarded.

Can an you point me in the direction of what I can do please.
      Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      Welcome aboard

Did you acknowledge the claim and/or submit a defence?

Were you aware that a claim had been issued or did you just find out? Was it sent to your usual address but you've been staying at your dad's?

You may be able to apply for set aside but the court would look at your reasons for not responding to the claim as well as the prospect of a successful defence to the claim.
      - - - Updated - - -

Yes it sent to my home address but I was not staying there as I explained

Comment

To apply for set aside you need form N244. A £155 fee is payable but you may qualify for fee remission in certain circumstances, see ex160.

Apart from not having received the claim, you'll need to show you have a good prospect of defending the claim. Did you ever dispute this debt with MBNA? Ever request a copy of your agreement (a CCA request)?

See here for more info regarding set aside applications: http://legalbeagles.info/library/how...-judgment-ccj/

Comment

Thanks for your advice Flaming Parrott

I actually went to court with them about 6 years ago and because they could not supply the CCA, they were unable to take it any further. But I did make token payments until recently. I have spent the whole weekend looking for paperwork about this to no avail.

Can I request a copy of my CCA again? Can I get a copy of last time they took me to court and Sorry to sound foolish what does it mean to defend a claim? What do you put?

thank you in advance?

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
          To apply for set aside you need form N244. A £155 fee is payable but you may qualify for fee remission in certain circumstances, see ex160.

Apart from not having received the claim, you'll need to show you have a good prospect of defending the claim. Did you ever dispute this debt with MBNA? Ever request a copy of your agreement (a CCA request)?

See here for more info regarding set aside applications: http://legalbeagles.info/library/how...-judgment-ccj/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay10 View Post
            Thanks for your advice Flaming Parrott

I actually went to court with them about 6 years ago and because they could not supply the CCA, they were unable to take it any further. But I did make token payments until recently. I have spent the whole weekend looking for paperwork about this to no avail.
            Was that for the same account? What happened with the claim, did you defend it, did they discontinue? Can you give us a little history? :typing:

Can I request a copy of my CCA again?
            You can try, however, they could argue that, as judgment has been obtained, they no longer have a duty to respond.

Can I get a copy of last time they took me to court and Sorry to sound foolish what does it mean to defend a claim? What do you put?

thank you in advance?
            What did you do last time they took you to court? Did you not defend?

If they took you to court for this same account and then had to discontinue because they could not supply the documents, it sounds like the new claim could be abuse of process, however we need to know what happened at the time and over the past six years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X