• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Flat Lease question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Lease question

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me answer a question I have regarding my current lease for my flat rental.

Not going to use real names so will use substitutes;

I signed a lease for my flat last year, (2014-2015), with a management firm called 'Orange'. Then a few months into the year I get an e-mail from them saying the management firm was now called 'Red', they gave me details for a new bank account and they changed their address too. We were never made/asked to sign a new lease.

There are a few issues regarding notification and rent cropping up right now as I'm preparing to move to another flat and a different management firm. However, my lease is still in the name of the original management firm 'Orange', which now no longer exists. Is the lease still valid in this case?

Any help would be welcome at this point. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Flat Lease question

Have you spoken to Orange or Red since changing where your payments went to ? ( if you are making payments on the lease that is )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yeah, I got an e-mail informing me that they were no longer 'Orange', that they were operating under the name of 'Red' now, and to pay rent into the new account. Since then I have dealt with them during several issues with the flat. I was under the impression that they had just changed there name but that it was still the same people. We weren't asked if we wanted to change firms, nor did we sign a new lease.

They have also broken one of the rules they set by not notifying me 24hrs in advance of someone coming to the flat to show prospective tenants around. I just opened the door one morning and a member of staff and 2 other people were wanting in.

Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by T-cakes View Post
        Yeah, I got an e-mail informing me that they were no longer 'Orange', that they were operating under the name of 'Red' now, and to pay rent into the new account. Since then I have dealt with them during several issues with the flat. I was under the impression that they had just changed there name but that it was still the same people. We weren't asked if we wanted to change firms, nor did we sign a new lease.

They have also broken one of the rules they set by not notifying me 24hrs in advance of someone coming to the flat to show prospective tenants around. I just opened the door one morning and a member of staff and 2 other people were wanting in.

Does that help?
        Okay I was just checking that you hadn't been scammed and that you had actually spoken with them since. Can you pm me the name of the companies just so I can check them out a bit make sure its above board.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

The company changed its name and address, rather than closing down and starting a new company. Therefore the original lease is still valid as everything will remain with the company and no transfer to a new company is required.

Have you discussed this with them ?
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

I wanted to know where I stood with the lease before I tried dealing with them. I sent the original e-mail on Weds morning, they only sent the e-mail that has caused all these questions at 4:45pm on Friday so they didn't give us a chance to talk to them before the shut for the weekend.

Comment

When you say 'management firm' are you referring to the management company (i.e. one of the parties in your lease to whom you are likely obliged to pay your service charge) or to the managing agent (who act as agent for and on behalf of the management company, who are likely instructed to carry out the contractual services of the management company (e.g. clean windows, cut grass) and receive payment of your service charge)?

It will help in advising as to the alleged breach of lease for entry notification. I have a good knowledge of leasehold law, so feel free to post up any other questions you might have.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X