• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old CCj and recovering my credit rating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old CCj and recovering my credit rating

Hi everybody . I have an old CCJ against defaulted Nat West accounts. The defaults occurred in early 2010 and the CCJ was obtained in late 2010.

So far the bank have not made any action to enforce the judgement. I have job interivew tuesday and if i get the job will be in a situation to start repaying some of my creditors. If I do this how will it affect the ccj and my credit rating. I know that if I can hold the bank off for the full six years then the CCJ will fall off under the limitations act. What happens if I make payments will the CCJ have its' life extended?
    Tags: None

Re: Old CCj and recovering my credit rating

I would be tempted to do nothing about the CCJ. Paying it off will not extinguish it, though it will be amended to show payment has been made. The life of the CCJ will not be extended. Only another year or so before you don't have to worry about it. Take action if it rears its ugly head.

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
      Hi everybody . I have an old CCJ against defaulted Nat West accounts. The defaults occurred in early 2010 and the CCJ was obtained in late 2010.

So far the bank have not made any action to enforce the judgement. I have job interivew tuesday and if i get the job will be in a situation to start repaying some of my creditors. If I do this how will it affect the ccj and my credit rating. I know that if I can hold the bank off for the full six years then the CCJ will fall off under the limitations act. What happens if I make payments will the CCJ have its' life extended?
      Although CCJs drop off the record (and credit files) after six years, the remain 'alive' and can still be enforced, however, if the creditor made no attempt to enforce the judgment in the first six years then they won't be able to start enforcement action after that. If they haven't done anything in five years, I see no reason to awaken sleeping dogs.

I agree with Ostell that it's better not to do anything unless they attempt to enforce it. The CCJ will still be on record until it drops off next year.

Comment

The removal of the CCJ from public records and credit files after 6 years does no affect the ability of the claimant to enforce the debt the judgement stands.

The LA 1980 states " No Action shall be Started once 6 years has elapsed since the cause of action" the action has been started and judgment given.

A court may take a view on enforcement being taking place after such a long time but many judgement are enforced 6 years or more after judgement and this often happens when the original claimant sells on a debt on which a CCJ has been obtained.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X