• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial UK Limited / Vanquis - 21-5-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Cabot Financial UK Limited / Vanquis - 21-5-2015

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 21-5-2015
    Amount approx: £528.59
    Claimant: Cabot Financial UK Limited
    Solicitor: Weightmans LLP
    Original Credit: Vanquis

Particulars of Claim:
    1. The Defendant entered into a credit agreement described bt the original creditor as VANQUIS-CREDIT CARD and having account number XXXXXX ('The Account')

2. The Claimant, a UK limited company with company number 3757424, is the assignee and legal owner of all rights previously enjoyed by the original creditor in respect of the Account.

3. The Defendant is indebted to the Claimant in respect of the account in the sum of £528.59

4. The Claimant claims the said sum of £528.59, plus costs.

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim, Sent a CCA request, Sent a CPR 31.14 request

Other Info:
    Firstly,
    Thank you for looking at this.

Secondly,
    I don't have any knowledge that I can recall ever taking out a credit card with Vanquis. However I have checked my credit file. According to the records, it was started on 08/05/2007 and they are on there as a default since 31/03/2010

I received a respponse letter today 03/06/2015 from Cabot Financial after sending them the CCA request and the body of it is below:

Thank you for your request for information under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    We currently do not have this information on file, however we have requested the relevant details which will include a copy of the credit agreement, statement of account and original and varied terms and conditions from the original lender.

What happens next?

We anticipate that we will be able to provide this within 40 days. In the unlikely event we are unable to obtain this information within those time limits, we will write to you again.

Signed off yada yada....

The time limit they have imposed will not work with the 28 day deadline I have from the court.
    Any advice, hints tips etc... would be very much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial UK Limited / Vanquis - 21-5-2015

Originally posted by lord_elven View Post
    Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim, Sent a CCA request, Sent a CPR 31.14 request
    I don't have any knowledge that I can recall ever taking out a credit card with Vanquis. However I have checked my credit file. According to the records, it was started on 08/05/2007 and they are on there as a default since 31/03/2010

I received a respponse letter today 03/06/2015 from Cabot Financial after sending them the CCA request and the body of it is below:

Thank you for your request for information under sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
    We currently do not have this information on file, however we have requested the relevant details which will include a copy of the credit agreement, statement of account and original and varied terms and conditions from the original lender.

What happens next?

We anticipate that we will be able to provide this within 40 days. In the unlikely event we are unable to obtain this information within those time limits, we will write to you again.

Signed off yada yada....

The time limit they have imposed will not work with the 28 day deadline I have from the court.
    Any advice, hints tips etc... would be very much appreciated.
    That is their standard template letter response to EVERYONE who sends them a CCA request, no idea why, 40 days is the time allowed for a SAR, it should be 12+2 working days for a CCA request. Having said that, failing to comply with a request under s.78 of the CCA is a bar to enforcement, albeit only while they are in default, i.e. they can produce the document at any time even outside the above time frame. You do not need to chase the CCA request for that reason, if they don't provide it you can use that fact in your defence, especially if you do not recall having a Vanquis card, you'd need a document showing you actually had one.

You seem to have done everything so far, the one you need to chase is the CPR request which they should respond to in seven days. If Weightmans don't send you the documents, you can ask them to agree to an extension of 28 days to file your defence which is the maximum allowed under CPR 15.5. :thumb

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I'll give them the seven days and then proceed as suggested.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi,

So Weightmans LLP have responded as below:

We write furter to your correspondence dated 1 june 2015

Whilst we have requested copies of your credit agreement from the original creditor, it may take a period of time to obtain copies of this document.
        Once we are in receipt of this document however, it will be forwared to you without delay.

Please note that once directions have been provided by the Court to take this matter to trial, a deadline will then be provided for both parties to disclose all
        documents on which they seek to rely on at trial. In the event that you proceed to make an application under CPR 31.14 for disclosure of these documents, we hereby
        put you on notice that we will oppose the same, placing this correspondence before the Court, and seek our costs of opposing this application from yourself directly.

In accordance with CPR 15.2, you must file a defence to proceedings, by the deadline specified by the Court,
        should you wish to defend this claim to trial. In the event you fail to do so, our client could request a default judgment be entered against you pursuant to CPR 15.3 and CPR 12.3.

Please note, in the event that you fail to file a defence within the specified time period, resulting in our client obtaining a default judgment against you which you later seek to have set aside, we will
        draw the contents of this correspondence to the Court's attention both in opposition of your application to have the default set aside and on the issue of costs.

We trust that the above clarifies our client's position but should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Commercial Recoveries team.

Signed off as Weightmans LLP

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi,

So Weightmans LLP have responded as below:

We write furter to your correspondence dated 1 june 2015

Whilst we have requested copies of your credit agreement from the original creditor, it may take a period of time to obtain copies of this document.
          Once we are in receipt of this document however, it will be forwared to you without delay.
          I would reply saying that, in view of the fact that they are not in a position to supply the documents you require to be able to prepare your defence, you would like to ask them to agree to a 28 day extension to file your defence, as allowed under CPR 15.5. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...es/part15#15.5
          Agreement extending the period for filing a defence

(1) The defendant and the claimant may agree that the period for filing a defence specified in rule 15.4 shall be extended by up to 28 days.
          (2) Where the defendant and the claimant agree to extend the period for filing a defence, the defendant must notify the court in writing.
          If they agree, you need to inform the court of the agreement. If your deadline is approaching and you're running out of time, this can all be done by email.

Comment

Right,

I have sent an email with a letter attached requesting they agree to 28 day extention.
            Is there any thing more I need to be doing now other than count down the days...?

Thanks

Comment

Hey,

So I have not heard from either Cabot nor Weightmans since and time is marching on for me to put my defence in.
              What do I do?
              Do you think i have given them enough time to repsond adequately?

Thanks.

Comment

Right,

I have sent an email with a letter attached requesting they agree to 28 day extention.
                Is there any thing more I need to be doing now other than count down the days...?

Thanks
                That was a week ago! Did you ever get a reply?

Originally posted by lordelven View Post
                Hey,

So I have not heard from either Cabot nor Weightmans since and time is marching on for me to put my defence in.
                What do I do?

Thanks.
                Yes, they should have responded to the CPR request in 7 days so more than enough time. You need to either chase them for the extension or be prepared to submit a generic defence based around not having received anything from them. An example can bee seen here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...t-Court-Claims

Comment

Originally posted by lordelven View Post
                  Hey,

What do I do?

Thanks.
                  Check with the court to make sure nothing has been filed without you knowing.

nem

Comment

Received a claim? Yes
                    Issue Date: 21-5-2015
                    Your defence will be due by next Tuesday, 23 June 2015: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/date...&am=&aw=&ad=33

Comment

Thanks guys,
                      I have just checked the current status online and it still received ack. So I guess they have not done anything else.

I will wait until Wednesday this week which gives me some time to write up a draft etc...

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        I have just checked the current status online and it still received ack. So I guess they have not done anything else.

I will wait until Wednesday this week which gives me some time to write up a draft etc...
                        That's fine, when you have a draft ready post it here and we'll go through it with you.

nem

Comment

Well today is the day of reckoning, wish me luck

Comment

I'm sure we all wish you every success!!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

nem

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                              Your defence will be due by next Tuesday, 23 June 2015: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/date...&am=&aw=&ad=33
                              Have you filed your defence? Did you not receive an email agreeing to an extension as discussed above? :typing:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X