• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

freelance workers who have not been paid. need help what can i do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freelance workers who have not been paid. need help what can i do?

I work at a company with 4 other people .we are all considered freelance workers and work 3 days a week. We usually get paid the 25th but we have not been paid. And i dont think she really intents to. This is why..

This started in march. She informed us she was closing the loft where we work till the last week of april. We all agreed that would be fine. So i found a temporary job out if state. I realized i wasn't goinf to be able to work till may 1. I called to tell her and she told me she really needed me to work . there was no way for me to come back so at the end she said it was fine.

My first day back she didn't even show up i called her all day she didn't answer.so i finished some paper work i had and went home. I go to work the next monday she arrives and tells me she is looking for things for us to do. At this point we talk about a worker that has agreed to cut her hours if needed till the end of may.

She agrees its for the best. And i tell her in person that friday since i wasnt on location on Wednesday. The worker said its fine so she picks her 2 days and everything is okay. Then the accountant is telling me that there is nothing for us to do. And i agree i would go home earlier and we establish a new opening day now this keeps happening. With a new day to reopen the loft.

Finally i turn in our invoices. (Since i do all the workers because they dont know how to do them and the accountant said i should provide them for her). I get called a few days later being accused of letting the workers work too many hours and that the loft should have been closed almost all of may too. She tells me we are stealing from her. She then tells me i had no right to have been at the loft working on paperwork.

That i probably was there not doing anything and she was going to only give me 2 hours of an 8 hr shift i worked and she was going to take some more hours from the other days. She tells me she is going to do the same thing for the other workers because they weren't supposed to be working.i tell her its not fair because they had all worked and that its not fair to me because the first 2 weeks of may i was still working for the other company and she told me to come to her loft to work and now she was planning not to pay me for those days, when i could have been working somewhere else

. I was mad told her she was wasting my time trying to discuss every invoice i made(which i did for everyones time and what they did. But she didn't believe me.) because she had already made up her mind not to pay us what was due. A day before this we were working and she told me she received the money for the loft and the expenses. So i know she has the money.

I also know shes looking for a new loft since our old lease didn't get renewed because she didn't pay on time. Now she fired one of my co workers because she asked for her money and told her she wasn't going to pay her till she fineshed her work and she wasn't going to pay her for the extra hours to finish. And she was going to review yhe loft cameras to see what we were working on all month. Which i dont mind because i know we were all working.

But that was 5 days ago now i dont know what to do. Its almost the end of the month the girls keep calling me to know when they are getting paid and the accountant is not answering my calls or texts. I dont know what to tell my co workers. Can we do anything legally? Like file for a breach in contract ? The only thing there is we dont have contracts and all is word of mouth when we get paid. We are all going to be behind on our payments for the month. Am i in the right? I feel like this isn't my fault because i just followed the orders she gave me. But i feel so bad for my co workers since im the one who takes care of their invoices and gives them their checks.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 31st May 2015, 16:12:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: freelance workers who have not been paid. need help what can i do?

Are you in the UK? This is a UK based advice site.

Comment

Re: freelance workers who have not been paid. need help what can i do?

Oh no since it let me change my time zone i thought it was worldwide

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X