• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Exposure to X-rays without safe PPE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposure to X-rays without safe PPE

Hi, my sister has worked in a local hospital Trust as a theatre nurse for 13 years. During that time she has been involved in many surgical procedures were there has been the use of X-rays. The hospital have lead aprons for the staff to use and are all numbered and supposed to undergo regular checks to ensure they are effective. However, the results of these assessments or when they were last checked are not available for the staff to view, so it is purely trust from on the employees part that they are safe to use. The aprons are not stored hanging up which is how they should be to prevent cracks in the lead around the chest and arm pit areas. At only 36 with no family history, high risk lifestyle or genetical predisposing risk, she has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Her breast lump actually being situated on the side of her breast, in a position that a poorly maintained lead apron would not provide protection. Is there anywhere I can find out more information about this and whether this is something we should look in to? The NHS does not prioritise staff safety with current financial constraints and we do not want another family to go through what we are currently going through as a result of poorly maintained personal protective equipment.
    Tags: None

Re: Exposure to X-rays without safe PPE

I think you will have to start with the Health & Safety Executive regarding ionizing radiation: http://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/ionising/certxray.htm

If you can show the hospital breached safety, you might then be able to show a link between your sister's breast cancer and ionising radiation.
    http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clea...radiation.html
    There are known links between radiation and cancer, however breast cancer is also known to develop spontaneously and to prove the causation will be difficult
    At the moment I think about 13 genes have been identified as having a possible influence on development of breast cancer, but there are probably many more
    My OH was diagnosed with breast cancer some 10 years ago and has taken part in several studies in the hopes of assisting others.

We understand what you are all going through, and wish her well.

Comment

Unfortunately it is more than likely the cause had nothing to do with exposure to radiation, she could have any one of those genes. Not to mention breast cancer can effect anyone of any age, regardless of lifestyle choice - And at 36 she is within the age group where breast cancer rates begin to start shooting up!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thank you for your reply. We have been to see a genetics counsellor and they predict only a 6% likelihood of her being BRCA1 or 2 positive. They usually test on a 10% prediction but as she was diagnosed under 40 with Grade 3 triple negative cancer, they said it warrants testing her. I would hope that work had nothing to do with it, i just find 'one of those things' or 'just bad luck' difficult to accept so just want to be sure we've looked at all possibilities before accepting that.

Comment

So sorry to hear that about your sister.
          Fortunately she has you for support, and I hope the rest of the family rally round during and after her treatment.
          I appreciate that when thing go seriously wrong it is human nature to look for an explanation, so that at least others might not suffer a similar problem.
          However in your sister's particular case, I suspect you could spend a lot of time and effort (including emotional) trying to show a link between her work and her condition, when all that input might be better directed to keeping your sister positive.
          Look for the links of causation when your sister has recovered.

I'm not meaning to preach, but I have been there with my wife and your sister will need support.

Comment

Well its deffo worth testing and finding out for sure, and if it is because of the aprons and how they were stored etc, then go for the jugular. Hopefully, regardless of the cause, your wife recovers.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X