• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Two seperate money claims for one debt - two seperate defendants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two seperate money claims for one debt - two seperate defendants

Hi all, I have a rather unusual situation and hoping there may be someone here who can help as I'm struggling to find similar cases to compare to. Claimant (a letting agent) issued two claims against both their tenant and their guarantor for a fixed amount of rent arrears. Judgement in default was given against the tenant and they are now paying the debt in court agreed installments. The guarantor filed a defence and now the claim has proceeded to the stage where mediation has been offered, but can anyone advise if the claim should rightfully be continued as they have already secured a CCJ against the tenant and effectively will be claiming the money twice out of both of them?

To confuse matters further the tenant is still in occupation, and there are still arrears (not sure if as much as the original amount), but as the initial claim was filed nearly 4 months ago the original amount has been paid three times over as part of ongoing payments onto the account.

Any advice appreciated and I hope I have posted in the right forum, sorry if not
    Tags: None

Re: Two seperate money claims for one debt - two seperate defendants

Has the defendant guarantor spoken with the claimant since the tenant commenced payments through the court?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. They have not spoken to the claimant, but the claimant sent back the directions questionnaire to proceed with the case against the guarantor a couple of weeks after instructing bailiffs against the tenant, so they definitely knew they had a judgement for that sum already. Not sure if either they think they can get the money quicker instead out of guarantor, or whether they are going to state the amount claimed would cover any new arrears - and I don't know if in either case they can do this anyway?

Sorry I misread the post in fact - the first court ordered payment was made last week, and no contact since then from the claimant, but I believe they would let this claim run also...
      Last edited by rosie15; 10th May 2015, 22:01:PM. Reason: Misread question

Comment

From the landlord's point of view: it is fairly standard to claim against both the tenant and guarantor - both are liable for the debt and it means that if the tenant is unable to pay, the landlord does not incur extra costs making a new claim against the guarantor.

You are correct in that the landlord cannot recover the full debt twice, but the landlord can recover part of the debt from the tenant and part from the guarantor.

The claim against the guarantor will probably remain live, until the tenant pays back the full debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X