• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recieved a N1CPC from MKDP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recieved a N1CPC from MKDP

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
    Sorry, they have 6 years in which to bring a claim against you for the debt (s.6 Limitation Act 1980 - also see www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Default.aspx)

If it is your debt then I'm afraid I don't think you have any defence.
    This isn't strictly true, it all depends on the individual case. See my post above, MKDP went all the way to court and LOST, :high5: despite the fact that it had also been the defendant's debt, it was found to be unenforceable. :juge:
    Originally posted by SPQR View Post
    The best thing you can do is follow the instructions on the N1CPC (where is says "If you agree with all of theclaim and are asking for timeto pay"). This involves sending form N9A direct to the claimant, and filling in box 11 making an offer for payment in monthly instalments. This might prevent a County Court Judgment against you.

Form N9A is available here: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u.../n009a-eng.pdf
    The OP is likely to have received form N9A in the response pack, however, an admission is very likely to result in judgment against them. :scared:

CPR 14.9 states:

Request for time to pay

(1) A defendant who makes an admission under rules 14.4, 14.5 or 14.7 (admission relating to a claim for a specified amount of money or offering to pay a specified amount of money) may make a request for time to pay.

(2) A request for time to pay is a proposal about the date of payment or a proposal to pay by instalments at the times and rate specified in the request.
    (3) The defendant’s request for time to pay must be served or filed (as the case may be) with his admission.
    (4) If the claimant accepts the defendant’s request, they may obtain judgment by filing a request in the relevant practice form.

(5) On receipt of the request for judgment, the court will enter judgment.
    When all else fails, it's better to use a Tomlin Order to agree the terms of repayment. A Tomlin Order has the effect of staying proceedings while the terms are kept to. The defendant has much the same obligation to make repayments but there is no CCJ on record.

Comment

Thanks all. That letter will be posted today and hopefully replied to very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by floody View Post
        Thanks all. That letter will be posted today and hopefully replied to very soon.
        Good luck James,

Any developments just come back here!

As FP has said MKDP's cases are often flawed as it seems they may have been drafted by trainee paralegals or student with little experience of the consequences and practicality of the claims.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Good luck James,

Any developments just come back here!

As FP has said MKDP's cases are often flawed as it seems they may have been drafted by trainee paralegals or student with little experience of the consequences and practicality of the claims.

nem
          Lets hope that's the case Nem, sent off this morning first class recorded.

Will update when I receive a reply.

Comment

Lets hope that's the case Nem, sent off this morning first class recorded.

Will update when I receive a reply.
            Ok James!

nem

Comment

The person who beat MKDP on Wednesday is also a defendant in another, rather well-known case which was also successfully defended.

As at least in theory MKDP could still appeal, full details can't be released quite as yet.

Also, I think we should make sure that they are happy if their name is mentioned on LB.

Comment

I don't actually recall the last time I heard of MKDP winning in court.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  I don't actually recall the last time I heard of MKDP winning in court.
                  I'm sure they aren't going to appeal. Strange thing is that they actually turned up!

Comment

Think they wing it now and then in the hope the other side don't bother.... lol.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Agree with FlamingParrot post#16 (I stand corrected - Tomlin order certainly makes more sense).

Having looked at limitation periods in the practitioner text (Chitty on Contract) agree with nemesis45 thatmost likely statute barred.

Good luck with the defence

Comment

Ok I have had a response today from the letter.

"We write with reference to your response to our claim.

Please be advised that we do not accept the terms of your defence and have therefore informed the county court Buisness centre that we intend to proceed with the claim.

The court will write to you in due course"

Now, is this a response to my letter, or a general response to me selecting to defend my case on the basis of "statue barred"

please advise. Thanks

Comment

Ok I have had a response today from the letter.

"We write with reference to your response to our claim.

Please be advised that we do not accept the terms of your defence and have therefore informed the county court Buisness centre that we intend to proceed with the claim.

The court will write to you in due course"

Now, is this a response to my letter, or a general response to me selecting to defend my case on the basis of "statue barred"

please advise. Thanks
                          It is a response to your letter which you sent in addition to your defence. Normally the claimant doesn't have to write to you saying they wish to proceed with the claim and why, they'd inform the court and you'd just get an N180 directions questionnaire with proposed allocation to small claims, to fill in. In this case, they've written to you because you wrote to them. The letter is for information only, no action is required on your part until you receive the N180.

Comment

This is MKDP true to form, it will never (and as far as my knowledge goes) has
                            not acknowledged any debt to be statute barred.
                            It then " rumbles on" for ages ignoring all contact and leaving claims stayed for
                            ever and a day.

Stick to Your Guns, MKDP Must prove the debt is not statute barred.

nem.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X