• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ problems

I recently had a claim issued against my sole trader name it was a defended claim that was supposed to go to mediation but then it wasn't available. 2 weeks later I recieved an order through the post and the hearing had gone ahead without my knowledge, I phoned the court to inform them and the said the judgement had been made in my absence and if I didn't agree with it I should file a N244 to have the order set aside this would cost £155, as it was a part defended claim (300) of the claim I decided not to go ahead with it...

my order has the claimants name on it plus my sole trading name listed as the debtor. There is no mention of my name or a T/A on any court documentation or MCOL application. I have tried to get the creditor to take 4 equal payments to satisfy the debt but they said No they want full payment .... They now have high court enforcement officers executing a Writ of control which is adding about £1600 to the debt so far ... My question is as my sole trading name is only shown on the CCJ should I take steps to have the judgement set aside as I'm not sure how they can execute this writ being that my T/A name is not a legal entity ...
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ problems

You are right in that your Trading Name is not a legal entity. Instead the debt is owed by yourself.

The fact that the County Court Judgment is in the trading name is only a technicality. If you tried to get it set aside, I think it is highly likely that they would just incur further costs. Also if the CCJ was transferred to your own name it could have credit implications.

I understand that the possibility of a Writ of Control is not pleasant. I'm afraid all I can suggest is making a offer to pay in instalments

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
      You are right in that your Trading Name is not a legal entity. Instead the debt is owed by yourself.

The fact that the County Court Judgment is in the trading name is only a technicality. If you tried to get it set aside, I think it is highly likely that they would just incur further costs. Also if the CCJ was transferred to your own name it could have credit implications.

I understand that the possibility of a Writ of Control is not pleasant. I'm afraid all I can suggest is making a offer to pay in instalments
      Thanks for the reply,
      So the court can just 'transfer' the order into my name ? Would this then mean that the old order would be set aside? And then I would receive a new order which if paid within 28 days would potentially not be registered against me.

Comment

How do you identify your business on bank accounts/tax/Vat e.g. " Luckyleaf Trading as XXXXXXXXXXXXX."

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          How do you identify your business on bank accounts/tax/Vat e.g. " Luckyleaf Trading as XXXXXXXXXXXXX."

nem
          Everything is luckyleaf T/A XXXXXXXX
          Last edited by Luckyleaf; 17th May 2015, 05:03:AM.

Comment

Seems likely that's the CCJ in your name against your credit history unlike a LTD> company T/as is you not a separate legal entity.If its been over 28 days and the CCJ is unpaid it will show as a black mark against you

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              Seems likely that's the CCJ in your name against your credit history unlike a LTD> company T/as is you not a separate legal entity.If its been over 28 days and the CCJ is unpaid it will show as a black mark against you
              Ive checked my credit file and there is no entry for the CCJ, and the order only has my trading name on it

Comment

Until you try for some sort of credit you may never know if it affects you in your name seems strange its not in your name others can maybe advise on the whole legal aspect

Comment

Have you checked the register of CCJs at Trustonline?

Comment

No I havnt tried checking that yet, I want to get it paid off and the HCEO won't except instalments even though I have offered £300 pm and have paid 1 payment, they just want to keep enforcing which has now risen from £1000 to £2600 :-(. However since informing the HCEO that he is trying to enforce a debt in my sole trading name.....I havnt heard anything from them in 10 days now

Comment

Hi,

In that case there is no need for " a change of claimant " on any court documents as the " Trading Style " is clear as to who is the proprietor of the business.

nem

Comment

Apply to Court for time to Pay and make an offer of a montly Payment it might help?

Comment

If the judgment is forthwith, which it appears to be then you can apply to have the order varied. This will, again, cost you an application fee but it should be the 'without a hearing' fee of £50. If you'd been able to do that within 7 days it would be without charge. I think you were probably correct in not trying to set aside the judgment, however it is a little concerning that you weren't notified of the hearing date ? and having the hearing would have enabled you to put you proposals for payment in, as well as potentially defend the £300, and have it all set by the court - thus avoiding the situation you are in now ( I know that's a bit hindsighty sorry xx )

Once you apply it will put a hold on the warrant of control so you can sort out an installment offer, have it set by the court and then further enforcement can't take place unless you default on the payments ordered by the court. Have a look at form N245 anyway ( http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.u...t_forms_id=486 )

To encourage the claimant to accept your £300 a month offer (without having to actually make the application) - you could tell him you are applying to vary the order to installments and it is likely to be less that your offer as it will be based directly on your income and expenditure.
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Courts are funny things a little bit of land we have had a stopping up order legally registered extinguishing all public and highway rights for the last 100yrs The Court reinstated the rights this is why I am trying to get the Transcript so don't be surprised what can happen at court even when you areright

Comment

Did someone file an objection to your stopping up order then?
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X