• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defaulted Aliance and Leicester account reopened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaulted Aliance and Leicester account reopened

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help or has has a similar experience so can provide me with an idea of how to proceed and the outcome I can expect.

Recently checked my credit rating on Experian and discovered I had a defaulted bank account with Santander for the value of £187. This has been on there for 5/6 years. I called Experian and they said that this is the only bank account registered on my credit file and they should see the active current account that I also have now with Santander, but no active bank account shows.

The defaulted account in question was with alliance and Leicester during a time I was quite hard up, basically a direct debit bounced and the charge took me into an unarranged overdraft that then snowballed to £187 in fees as I argued these charges. I then really needed the account but it had been closed, so I paid the money and they reopened the account, same sort code and account number same cards etc. I still use this account today and have had several well paid jobs that I pay my salary into the account on a monthly basis over the last 5 years, I get monthly statements and everything you would expect from an active current account.

After 3 hours on the phone with Santander it turns out that once an account is closed by default it can never be reused, as the account will stay in default status regardless. This happened pre merger and was not picked up on as it was around the same time the merger was happening. So none of my banking details for my current account in the last 5 years has been recorded, and this account will never be able to be shown as active even after the 6 years when a default is removed from credit file. Let alone I have lost 5 years of credit scoring on jobs that pay £50k+ Being paid monthly into my account.

Santander said this is a bad case and they unfortunately can't do much about it. They recommend I close the account and open a new one with another bank.....although I will not be able to get one as I have this defaulted account on my file! Their words.

I have logged a complaint with Santander and asked Experian to question Santander about the account status. I should hear back in a couple of weeks.

Appologies for the long explanation, but in a minute I fear I will be struggling to get a bank account anywhere, if I had been dealt with correctly I could have built my credit over the last 5 years and would not be in this situation.

Appreciate any feedback
    Tags: None

Re: Defaulted Aliance and Leicester account reopened

Have you asked Santander why they can't open another account for you with a different number?

The defaulted account will drop off your record 6 years after the default date. Is there anything else on your credit record? If it is completely blank I would suggest getting a 'bad credit' credit card such as Vanquis , using it each month and repaying it in full each month.

You would be able to open a basic bank account with other banks as you will not be credit checked for those.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X