• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Continuity of service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuity of service

Hello all,

It's recently been announced that the site where we work is proposed for closure and we're currently in the throws of the consultation period. I've worked on-site for around 8 years, but have a complex history which I would like to explain and hopefully get some answers on:

* July 2007 - Began working for Company A
    * September 2008 - It is announced Company A will be purchased by Company B
    * October 2008 - We transfer from being Company A employees to Company B employees
    * November 2008 - As Company B has outsourced it's IT, we are TUPE'd to Company C, while still providing service to Company B.
    * March 2011 - I leave Company C to take an opportunity for Company B.
    * April 2015 - Company B decides to close the office.

My question is around whether there is any way I can claim continuation of service from my original days with Company A - given for the entire time, whether outsourced or not, I have provided services to what is now Company B. HR are playing hardball here, bit it in fact only affects maybe a total of 4 of us who took the opportunity to come back to working for Company B and have in effect worked at the same location for 8 years.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Tags: None

Regular Overtime

Hello all,

While negotiating severance packages with my current employer, I raised the query of whether we would be entitled to an adjusted severance where we could legitimately prove regular oncall/overtime payments. HR, as you might expect are not budging on this item - however this payment, as regular income is used in calculating such items as mortgage affordability etc so I cannot understand the justification for not paying this.

Your thoughts are welcome as always.

Comment

Negotiating a better deal

Hello all,

You may well have seen my other two threads circled around getting a better package when being made redundant. One of the questions I have relates to an enhanced severance package which was offered to colleagues during the last shake up a couple of years ago which was 3 weeks pay for every year of service. The current offering is 2 weeks for every year, but I have to ask, is there any legal standpoint we can argue here to up this to 3 weeks? Is there a time limit before this expires?

Cheers

Comment

Re: Continuity of service

I have merged the three threads so each issue can be dealt with collectively.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Continuity of service

Others may know better, but I'll start you off.

On the continuity of service question, my view was that you had unbroken service from Jul 07 - March 2011 when your transfers from A to B to C were statutory transfers when the "undertaking" transfered.

However, when you chose to leave C and applied for a job at B you broke your continuous service - presumably at that date C was still providing services to B and you left for a different role.

On the calculation of redundancy pay, there is a whole chunk of the Employment Rights Act 1996 devoted to what a week's pay is, but essentially for redundancy purposes it is the average of what was payable under the contract of employment during the 12 weeks preceding the date of termination - this is the general provision http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/221 - so if the oncall and overtime is contractual, then it should be included in the calculation.

For statutory purposes, though, there is a cap at £475 which may or may not be relevant to you.

As far as the previous scheme a few years ago is concerned, I am afraid what was on offer then is immaterial to what they offer now, provided, of course, it does not go below the statutory minimum - anything over and above that is discretionary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X