• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Permanent Contract Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Contract Issues

My fiancée works at a local, privately ran nursery.

When she went for an interview she was told she would be earning NMW + 50p, however upon commencing work, she has been put on NMW. Not a major issue.

She has a NVQ Level 3 in care, which is just over 5 years old.
    Her 3 month probation at the nursery ended yesterday, and they have kept her on for another 3 months. However, they have now told her that she will not be offered a permanent contract until she enrols to complete an NVQ Level 3 in Child Care, so until this happens, they will just keep renewing the 3 month probation.

Where does she stand with this, because they employed her on the qualifications she already had, and there was no mention and no requirement for her to have to complete the Child Care NVQ in order for her to take her role up.

Please advise.
    Tags: None

Re: Permanent Contract Issues

Hello RJH.
    Your fiancee was given a 3 month probationary period, which she seems to have completed satisfactorily.
    Good news.
    I hope they're thinking that she's just what they want and are trying to encourage her to take the NVQ3 in childcare.
    Education is always good.
    There's the other side though. Are they trying to keep her on a temporary contract, on the cheap?
    Once she gets the NVQ3 in childcare, are they going to put another obstacle in her way?
    Only you and she can answer this, really.
    I'd suggest that she asks them to put into writing that they WILL offer her a permanent contract if she passes the new NVQ3.

I've just re-read what you wrote. You actually wrote: "enrols to complete an NVQ Level 3 in Child Care".
    That sounds very good, if it's what you mean.
    Does she just have to ENROL to get the permanent contract?
    If so, tickety-boo.

Comment

Re: Permanent Contract Issues

I agree with What Sean says above.

Though have they put any of this in writing, such as is the temporary contract in writing and was their any written notice confirming they have extended her contract by 3 months etc?

Technically speaking, any term of employment offered/agreed verbally at the interview followed by a subsequent offer of employment forms a term of the employment contract (Likewise If she was not told the position was temporary at the interview or in the advert for the vacancy, then it is a permanent position - But seems she has agreed to it being temporary now anyway). Therefore if she was offered NMW + 50p with no clauses/conditions at the interview, then that is what she should be paid!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X