• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK Passport Office CCJ Threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Passport Office CCJ Threat

Hi,
    Last year I had the opportunity of a holiday at last minute, my passport had expired so I had to quickly get it renewed. I searched for fast track passport and came across the first website UK Passport Services clicked on and started filling details in to renew my passport, I got the payment part and knew that something was wrong, so cancelled the page before continuing to give any details. I then found the correct site and went to Durham on the date that I arranged myself and paid them over the counter for my passport.

I have since had endless texts and letters non of witch I have kept, as reading on line at various sites other people said ignore it's purely a scam!

I haven't heard from UK Passport Service for about 5 months then today I received a text message saying that they have a CCJ against me, but if I pay it will be taken off, and that the Court has awarded judgement in their favour. I have attached the text.

I'm really not sure what to do. Should I pay? I don't want a CCJ against me as trying to buy my first home and get a mortgage! The thing that worries me is that I have kept no texts or letters, just this final one that I have recieved from UK Passport Services.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: UK Passport Office CCJ Threat

Hi and welcome,
    Please hang fire, the people who can help you are not on line at the mo although they are never far away.
    Meantime if you have any other stuff from UK passport tucked away could you please get it together and email to admin@legalbeagles.info
    Subject faulk123 BPS
    Thanks enaid x

Comment

this is were he publishes the ones that dont see or defend the claim

http://www.britishpassportservices.c...udgements.html

If you didnt recive no notification of the claim, i think you can have it re-heard. some of the more experience will jump in and advise you soon.

BPS is a scam site ( you probably realised that )
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

The first thing you need to do is call the court to confirm if there's a judgment against you.

Also check the link that Crazy Council posted and see if you're listed http://www.britishpassportservices.c...udgements.html - I just checked and it's not, yet.

I take it you didn't receive a court claim from BPS?

Comment

Okay, so we didn't receive the claim form from the court originally, and you haven't had anything off of them for five months or so until this. Therefore you can apply to set aside the judgment which will put you back in a position where you can enter a defence.

Firstly can you give the court a call and check with them when the judgment was issued and what address it was issued to as you hadn't received anything until the claimant sent you a text. You can quote the claim number that BPS have given you (B1QZ.....). They will tell you you can apply to set aside and which form to use (N244).

On that form we'll need to say why we didn't receive it so best to find out if it went to the wrong address etc first.

Then we should ask BPS for a copy of the claim form.... we know what it will say but we should ask them, and also ask for them to consent to a setaside as you never received it.

Let me know what the court say - you MIGHT get them today...possibly.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, I just called Durham County Council they have issued it from Salford County Court £197 to pay, the lady on the phone said to call them and that I can get a N244 printed off online

Comment

Salford.. interesting. Yes give Salford a call ( it is usually Northampton) and ask them what address the claim was issued. ( The Number BPS have given you is the one for the bulk centre at Northampton)

Yes N244 is http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...end-strike-out
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I wondered why the case number was so different from the others that'll be why, different court

Comment

The whole thing is really chewing me up as I need to have clear history for my first mortgage. Should I just pay the scum bags to avoid further stress? It's already taken a lot of my work time up today. Or do I have a strong chance of beating this company and not having to pay the £197 for them doing absolutely nothing for me

Comment

That has to be your decision. They haven't actually been to court yet at all, all the judgments they have are default (like yours). No one that has defended has had to pay them, but nothing has been decided at a hearing.

We believe there is a strong chance of beating them in court, but as it is a small(ish) amount we do understand people would rather pay them to get it out of their hair and ensure they don't get a CCJ against them. Setting aside is a bit more stress than simply defending the claim as there's a court fee of £155 (unless you are on a v. low income/benefits and eligible for fee remission) and potentially two hearings.

The process is this

Set aside
                    - submit set aside application, fee (or remission application) and draft defence to the court
                    - attend a hearing (possibly - if BPS don't consent to the set aside) to see if you can defend the case and remove the judgment

Defence
                    - submit your defence to court
                    - wait for a court date
                    - submit witness statements and exhibits to court
                    - attend hearing

As I said we think you would win but we do completely understand that it is a shed load of time, stress and work sorting out these claims, off course that is what Mr Howard relies on for his income seemingly.

Still find out from the court first why you didn't get any of the documents.

If you DO decide to pay the buggers, then make sure you keep evidence of making the payment and inform the court you have done so, with the evidence, as I don't trust RH to inform the court it has been paid.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Faulk123 View Post
                      The whole thing is really chewing me up as I need to have clear history for my first mortgage. Should I just pay the scum bags to avoid further stress? It's already taken a lot of my work time up today. Or do I have a strong chance of beating this company and not having to pay the £197 for them doing absolutely nothing for me
                      Hi, its how he operates, threatening people into paying. The site owners ( whos advised you above ) are assisting many many people like you.

Also, consider, if you pay, he will still list it on his site, if anyone searches against your name, it will come up.

I personal would fight them. there are some others at you stage fighting back.
                      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I have joined this site today because my daughter has received a similar text today and this is the first she has heard about the Court action. She has received threatening texts for nearly 12 months at irregular intervals. No court documents were received because she changed her address and nothing was forwarded to her. She would have defended the matter. She told them that she had moved to the USA in August 2014. She came back to the UK in January 2015 ( she is a student).

I will support her to defend this claim. Could she counter claim for the fees to have this judgement set aside?

Comment

Originally posted by helmbarrie View Post
                          I have joined this site today because my daughter has received a similar text today and this is the first she has heard about the Court action. She has received threatening texts for nearly 12 months at irregular intervals. No court documents were received because she changed her address and nothing was forwarded to her. She would have defended the matter. She told them that she had moved to the USA in August 2014. She came back to the UK in January 2015 ( she is a student).

I will support her to defend this claim. Could she counter claim for the fees to have this judgement set aside?
                          Hi helmbarrie and welcome.

You don't counter claim for the application fee for the set aside as such, you'll automatically be awarded it if you go on to successfully defend the claim. As your daughter is a student it might be that she would qualify for fee remission anyway but you'd need to check.

If your daughter was not at the address the claim was sent to at the time it was sent then you should have a fair chance of getting the judgment set aside. Follow the steps that Amethyst suggested to Faulk123 in post #5 and #10.

If & when you get the judgment set aside follow the steps in the guide http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...455#post522455

Can you tell us a bit more of her experience with the company?

Comment

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I will get full details from my daughter in the next couple of days and post it on here. I will also keep you informed of the progress of the set a side and how the defence goes. I have not read of anyone successfully defending themselves in Court against this company. It may be that people who have defended and won have just not mentioned it.

Regards

Comment

No one has actually reached court with a defence yet - UKS&S only started issuing court claims in December 2014 and a couple have been discontinued before reaching court already... so the argument just hasn't been heard by a Judge as yet ... the first hearing that looks like it might go ahead is around 5th May, and that claim was issued beginning of December.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X