• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Costs awarded against losing party?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs awarded against losing party?

Hello

Can anybody help with regarding costs against a losing party? I have been looking at the Internet regarding costs and there appears to be mixed messages. If I were to lose what is the likelihood of the judge awarding costs against me. I beleive I have a strong case. I have not received any notifications regarding costs, or the judge has not indicated that my case is weak etc...
    SO a general idea would be useful.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Costs awarded against losing party?

Is this case (likely to be) allocated to small claims track/ fast track or multi track ?

Comment

It is going straight to court,no PHR or anything like that

Comment

The general rule is that the losing party pays the winner's costs.
        Costs awards are, however, usually subject to certain limits, the effect of which are that the winner generally recovers only a proportion of his costs
        . In awarding costs, the court will take into account the parties' conduct, and in particular whether each party tried in good faith to resolve the dispute prior to trial.
        In snmall claims cases costs are very limited, unless the losing party has acted unreasonably. (you won't be hit by solicitors fees )

Comment

Hello Jason.
          Des8 was trying to ascertain which track at court this is being heard on.
          If you have a claim up to £10k and it's straightforward, it's normally the small claims track. Lose there and you're normally liable for about £300, the other party's travel costs and suchlike. In theory, no solicitor's costs are payable but I've always found that, when a solicitor attends, they are awarded £300 if they win.
          For the fast track, it's normally around £1500.
          For the multi-track, costs go up to £millions.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
            Hello Jason.
            Des8 was trying to ascertain which track at court this is being heard on.
            If you have a claim up to £10k and it's straightforward, it's normally the small claims track. Lose there and you're normally liable for about £300, the other party's travel costs and suchlike. In theory, no solicitor's costs are payable but I've always found that, when a solicitor attends, they are awarded £300 if they win.
            For the fast track, it's normally around £1500.
            For the multi-track, costs go up to £millions.

Hello

This is an employment tribunal

Jason

Comment

You wrote:

"It is going straight to court,no PHR or anything like that".

It's not going to court, then. An ET does not normally award costs against individuals unless their behaviour has been unreasonable.

Comment

Agreed with Sean above.

Is very rare for the Employment Tribunal to award costs against an employee or former employee (usually the claimant) of the defendant (usually the employer) if the employee loses - Unless the employees claim was without merit, vexatious (false) or their behavior was unreasonable or unbecoming. Though the if the defendant is the loser, then they are normally made to pay costs or pay towards the costs of both parties!
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

One last thing if it goes to court and they subsequently find it is weak, can the losing party have costs against them?

Comment

I thought our previous answers were pretty clear, Jason.
                    If you vexatiously bring a claim, ie a weak claim that no reasonable person would or should ever bring, you would find yourself at the mercy of the Tribunal.
                    Why don't you put your cards on the table and we'll try to help you?
                    What exactly has happened?
                    Why did you bring the claim?
                    What outcome are you hoping to achieve?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X