• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

alexander v British Passport Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alexander v British Passport Services

I got involve with this Company like most people by accident, not reading small print carefully. It all started in December 2014 when I filled in an application for my wife to renew her passport on their website, not until I had paid did I realise it was not the governments website. I then accepted I have lost the fee which was £86. The 04 passport form arrived from them in early January 2015, On checking it found it had not been complete correctly. I telephone them only to be told I got what I paid for, with that they hung up. I then started exchanging e.mail with them trying to cancel their service, got nowhere I send 2 registered letters to the Hatten Green address in London, received no answers. I got their official complaints link filled that out, this link promises a 1-2-1 answer in 1-2 days heard nothing again.

I then contacted Trading Standards who recommended I contact my credit card provider, this I did. The credit card company ask me to send all the information I had, and the result was they retrieved the fee at the end of February 2015. From that date B.P.S. have been e.mailing me for the return of the £86. By e.mail they have admitted that they incorrectly filled in the 04, but still stay I should return the fee to them because they were charge a £20 by their bank for the call back of the fee.

Their latest e.mail informed me that on Sunday 12 April at 1.30 pm, they are holding a meeting to discuss my situation and what action they are going to take against me, they even included the agenda of the meeting in the e.mail, ( strange people ).

I know a lot of people like me have had problems with this Company, as anyone got any advice they would like to share with me.
    Tags: None

Re: alexander v British Passport Services

Hiya

It sounds like you've done everything right so far and it's good that you seem to have all the info/correspondence.

So you filled out BPS's own renewal form and they transferred the information from it to the official 04 form and they sent it to you but it wasn't completed as per the form you filled out. What were the errors?

The 'committee meeting' e-mail is the standard guff so expect another one to say they've voted to take legal action.

I think that the key points are that you've got the e-mail from them admitting that they incorrectly filled out the 04 form, you presumably have proof of posting complaint letters to Hatton Garden, that Trading Standards advised you to contact your card issuer (have you got that in writing?) and that you card issuer agreed, based on what you sent them, agreed you were entitled to a refund (again have you got that in writing?)

It would be useful if you could send me everything you have (you've got my e-mail address, I'm Nick) and we can advise further. I think it's almost inevitable that they'll issue a claim against you but it's worth at least trying to head them off at the pass by presenting a solid defence before that happens if we can. If it doesn't work then we've got all we need to file the defence.

In the meantime if you could answer the questions above that would be helpful.

Comment

Nick

Thank you for your thread, but your e.mail address keep coming back saying there a fault with your server.

Comment

Originally posted by alexander10310 View Post
        Nick

Thank you for your thread, but your e.mail address keep coming back saying there a fault with your server.
        No probs I'll send you a private message with my other address.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by alexander10310 View Post
          Nick

Ahh that might explain a few things, I'll check it out.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I did get 2 e-mails from you but do send anything else to the e-mail address I sent you by private message.

Did you have any response to the e-mail you sent them at 20.14 on the 9th?

Comment

None at all, but that is normal they never answer just send you another invoice stating the same old rubbish.

Comment

Ok I've got you're e-mails - thanks.

Just when you think you've seen it all from them...

I'll put them in sequence and read them fully over the weekend and draft a final letter of complaint. As I said the chances are they'll issue a claim anyway but by sending one last reasoned and convincing complaint will demonstrate to the court that you have been entirely reasonable and they haven't.

Comment

Thank for your help, I love to beat this mob.

Comment

We will, you've got a pretty strong case - they said they'd refund you if you sent a photo proving a mistake. You did and then they said they're ''allowed'' to make 5. That they incurred a £20 fee from Hipay is their problem and not your liability.

Comment

In their terms does it state they are allowed to make 5 mistakes?
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        In their terms does it state they are allowed to make 5 mistakes?
                        If it does it's surely an unfair term. They shouldn't make allowances for any mistakes for something as important as an passport application form as it invalidates the document.

Do you have the contract/terms Alexander?

Comment

Yes I have, and I have pointed out to them that nowhere on their contract does it say that they are allowed to make mistakes and if they do I should rectify their errors.

Comment

Thanks. Can you send me terms anyway please?

Also I'm a bit confused, should your wife's name be a Ms or Mrs?

Comment

''Terms'' - nope nothing about mistakes being allowed.

Using this form will submit the personal details required for us to complete the UK Passport Application & Renewal Form on your behalf. Through our
                              service we will advise you of any errors or mistakes that you submit before moving the details over to Her Majesty’s Passport Office’s paper 04 application
                              form. This will then be posted to you for you to sign and then return to the Passport Office with the supporting documents and two passport photographs.

This form is not suitable for those travelling within the next 4 weeks if you are renewing a British passport or travelling within 6 weeks if this is a first ever
                              British passport. If you require a passport within 1 day or 1 week you should use the Premium or Fast Track Services. Your application can be delayed if
                              non-compliant forms, photographs and supporting documents are provided. Submitting this form in no way guarantees you a British Passport. If you are
                              applying for your first adult passport, a passport for someone aged 16 or under, or you were born outside the UK, you will need to fill in a section of this
                              online form that asks for your parent's details.

You are responsible for ensuring that the applicant is eligible for a British Passport before using this form. This online application form is available for the
                              convenience of the user and is provided by British Passport Services (t/a UK Services & Support Ltd) who are not affiliated with Her Majesty’s Passport
                              Office or any government department as we are an unaccredited, privately owned organization with no authority to issue passports ourselves. We are not
                              responsible for any errors, losses or damages that you may incur whilst using this service and that all services are used at own risk.

The £86.00 service fee you pay our independent organisation for this service is non-refundable and is payment for use of our online booking form, a
                              passport advisor checking the details you entered for through the online form for any errors or omission, moving the details over to the 04 form, a 30
                              minute consultation with a senior passport advisor, Emergency Travel Document Card and free postage to send your application to the Passport Office.
                              This fee is due within 72hrs of completing the form. Should payment not arrive within this time frame then you expressly agree that we can add overdue
                              invoice charges at the rates found at: http://charges.britishpassportservices.co.uk to your account until the balance has been cleared in full.

All funds paid to us do not reduce the passport fee which is still due to Her Majesty’s Passport Office. An adult passport costs £72.50 and is £46 for a
                              child passport. You will need to pay this via cheque, postal order or card when sending the signed application to Her Majesty's Passport Office in the post.
                              You can avoid our services and charges by contacting Her Majesty's Passport Office directly on: 0300 222 0000 or through www.Gov.uk

As part of the package you also receive the following free services such a twenty per cent discount offered by our travel insurance partner, voucher for 4
                              passport photographs at our Wimbledon studio or sent to us via email, price freeze on passport prices where the applicants next passport is guaranteed
                              not to cost more than 2014’s prices and access to our form translation service.

By using our services you expressly agree that we may commence provision of the service immediately upon receipt of this form, consequently once the
                              work has been completed there will no longer be any option to cancel your order. Due to the nature of this service you expressly agree to forfeit your 14
                              day cooling off period/cancellation rights provided by the Consumer Contract Regulations 2013.

Should you wish to cancel you need to call our cancellation helpline on 02036000145 and entering your 5 digit cancellation code/applicant ID, contacting
                              us via our head office UK Services & Support Ltd, Suite 36, 88-90 Hatton Green, London, EC1N 9PG or emailing: cancel@britishpassportservices.org.uk.
                              If work has not yet begun then the contract can be cancelled at no charge. Should you cancel before all paid services have been performed then you will
                              be eligible for a partial refund. If the work has been completed in full then the £86.00 fee will be due in full.

You expressly agree that should you miss your telephone consultation appointment then the service will be marked as redeemed as we would not be able
                              to recoup the time the senior agent set aside in their diary for your call. Should the application not be received in the post then it is agreed that we will
                              arrange for a replacement to be sent at our expense. You agree that failure of the postage system is out of our control and does not warrant a refund on
                              the service fee that you pay us.

We may contact you to ask if you are satisfied with such services, send you free email, sms and recorded phone call messages from ourselves and other
                              companies in our group. We may pass information held on your passport and on related passport records to public and private sector organisations in the
                              UK and abroad when you use your passport, obtain a service or when it is in the public interest to do so. You can unsubscribe, complain or change your
                              communication preferences at any time by visiting: http://update.britishpassportservices.co.uk
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X