• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection query on general insurance and mortgage product sales by advisors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection query on general insurance and mortgage product sales by advisors

Good morning

I wondered if you could help me with something that I am currently puzzled about. We are an insurance intermediary in the business of selling non-investment general insurance products. Our internal sales teams (self-employed advisors) obviously go out and visit customers in their homes and complete a Customer Needs Analysis, and an application with them and obtain personal details necessary for the application. One of the partners on our panel of products (for selling mortgages) are requesting that each of these consultants are registered in their own right on the Data Protection register. I have looked at the legislation and it appears then that each individual would have to declare itself as a sole trader and then register as an organisation on the register. The consultants obtain the information, do NOT retain it other than their customers name and telephone number for future contact and then all the applications are sent to Head Office who process and manage the data and enter the data electronically. The business has its own DP registration.

Our consultants may do an online quote for the mortgage for the person with one of our panel of providers. They do not ‘process’ the data, organise, retrieve, consult or alter the information other than completing the application and sending it to Head Office. They are not responsible for its management or for its retention and destruction.

To me, if this was necessary, then it would mean any sales person in any shop such PC World, when taking a person’s name, address, payment etc. details and completing an agreement or a purchase contract, should fall within the same rules. The same could apply to a variety of industries where sales people are taking personal customer information on applications and sales proposals.

I wondered if you could clarify the situation for me. Is this perhaps specific for mortgage advisors?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X