• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**Discontinued** Court Claim - MKDP LLP / Lloyds OVERDRAFT - 12-3-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - MKDP LLP / Lloyds OVERDRAFT - 12-3-2015

Received these today by Special Delivery. I most definitely have never received that Notice of Assignment. I am quite confused as to why it isn't on headed paper!
    Can anyone help with my defence please?
    Attached Files

Comment

Bump

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone look over this defence and tell me if it's ok? I didn't know whether to put in there that I was required to open an account with them as part of my contract of employment with them. Also, there was no overdraft when it was first opened. The overdraft was put on and never had an affordability check done on it, they just kept increasing it.

1: The Defendant received the claim [Claim Number] from the Northampton County Court on 12 March 2015

3: This claim is for a debt resulting from a Current Account agreement with Lloyds Bank Plc.

3: It is denied the Defendant is indebted to the Claimants as claimed or at all.

4: The Defendant contends that terms of the agreement between herself and Lloyds Bank Plc were unfair pursuant to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

6: It is admitted that the Defendant held a Current Account with Lloyds Bank from around 2001

5. The Current Account had no overdraft when opened.

6. The Defendant suffered from a period of financial difficulty in the Summer of 2009 due to ill health and having to give up work and subsequently incurred charges.

7. The last payments made using the account were in 09 February 2010 when the Defendant stopped putting money into the account as it was being swallowed up by the charges and fees being added to the account and she was left in a position of extreme financial difficulty. Also, the bank were debiting the account to make payments to a credit card.

8. The Defendant has had no contact with Lloyds Bank Plc, or the Claimant in this case, since at the latest, March 2010.

9. The Claimant is claiming £7309.47 yet the Claimants have not provided the Defendant with any information showing how that sum has been calculated.

10. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed, that they have the right to claim, and that it is not time barred under s.5 Limitations Act 1980.

11. The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Lloyds Bank Plc to MKDP LLP on 20 June 2014 The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

12: On the 18 March 2015 the Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimants statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to MKDP LLP. The Defendant requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment and copy of First demand asking for full payment.

13. MKDP LLPhas has only sent an ambiguous copy of the Notice of Assignment. The Defendant requires a copy of the agreement and terms and conditions applicable to the account to assess her position with regards the charges and fees disputed and with regards how the account sum has increased since February 2010.

14. In order to try and find out more information regarding the operation of the account the Defendant has sent a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act to Lloyds Bank Plc to obtain copies of agreements and transaction lists applicable to the account. The request was sent on 10 April 2015and the Data Controller of Lloyds Bank Plc has 40 days to respond to the Defendant with all relevant information. Once this information is received the Claimant may further add to or amend her defence.

15. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

16. The Claimant request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for her to fully plead her case, that being the Agreement, the Terms of the Account at inception and as varied, the Assignment Notice, the Default Notice and a full statement of the account, else the Claim should stand struck out.

17. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants the Defendant will then be in a position to amend her defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………………

Dated .................................................. ....
      edit note

Comment

bump

Comment

Can someone help me with this please, I have to upload it on Monday?
          Thanks

Comment

Yes the requirement to open accounts as a condition of service should be mentioned, the terms of such an account could be important.

Para #13. Two matters should be separated, the NOA, and T& C's.
            Otherwise good to go.

nem

Comment

Thank you Nem, much appreciated.

Thanks
              Christine

Comment

Originally posted by christinez View Post

Thanks
                Christine
                Good morning,

I've been talking to my nephew an exec. with a major high street bank, he tells me that " in the past" (his words) banks insisted employees had accounts with the banks and at the first sign of a potential cash flow problem added an OD without notice to the employee or increased an OD limit considerably.
                If you have any documents it's worth checking them carefully.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
                Christine
                Good morning,

I've been talking to my nephew an exec. with a major high street bank, he tells me that " in the past" (his words) banks insisted employees had accounts with the banks and at the first sign of a potential cash flow problem added an OD without notice to the employee or increased an OD limit considerably.
                If you have any documents it's worth checking them carefully.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

Well, with me when I worked there, I just went to the advisers and asked them if they could increase the OD. They just increased it, there wasn't any paperwork to sign, so I have no paperwork but neither will they! That's how I managed to get the OD to 7K. Not too sure how I will stand with that?

Christine

Comment

RESULT,

Just received this today.

I want to thank everyone for their help, as always fantastic support.

Regards

Christine
                    Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations Christine xx

Attached Files
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: **Discontinued** Court Claim - MKDP LLP / Lloyds OVERDRAFT - 12-3-2015

Congrats
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Of course, I won't be contacting them or arranging to pay them anything and the only people with costs are them.
                          :beagle2222:

Comment

Hi,
                            So after this case being discontinued I have today received notice of assignment stating that Hoist Portfolio are now holding the debt. Can they do this when the case has been dropped. Also, how do I stand with this now as it is actually Statute barred but it wasn't when the previous company instigated proceedings?

Thanks in advance
                            Christine

Comment

Hi,
                              So after this case being discontinued I have today received notice of assignment stating that Hoist Portfolio are now holding the debt. Can they do this when the case has been dropped. Also, how do I stand with this now as it is actually Statute barred but it wasn't when the previous company instigated proceedings?

Thanks in advance
                              Christine
                              Hoist Portfolio are part of Jersey Finance

https://www.jerseyfinance.je/member-...o-holding-ltd.

https://www.jerseyfinance.je/meet-the-board

Unlike Scotland, in England & Wales the debt still exists even if SB - it just can't be enforced through court, so no judgement, no bailiffs, no CCJ.

You could always contact the above board and direct them towards FCA guidance

CONC 7.15.8
                              01/04/2014
                              FCA

A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.

[Note: paragraph 3.15b of DCG]

CONC 7.15.9
                              01/04/2014
                              FCA

A firm must identify for prospective purchasers of debts arising under credit agreements or consumer hire agreements or P2P agreements those debts which it knows or ought reasonably to know are statute barred, so as to avoid a firm taking inappropriate action against customers in relation to such debts.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X