• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court hearing

I have received a county court hearing date from a builders' merchant.
    I have never refused to pay the bill, but I have challenged the amount.
    Their original solicitor wrote to me to tell me he was not representing them anymore, but they have now have a new solicitor acting for them.
    At no time have I refused to pay what I lawfully owe, but I have questioned the amount on the invoice. I have asked them on a few occasions to check the amount and provide me with various information regarding my account. They have acknowledged this fact, but have refused to provide my requested information.
    Either: 1 - Can the county court rule that I must pay the specified amount based purely on their invoice?
    Or: 2 - Will the builders' merchant have to then provide the information I originally requested to ascertain the actual amount owed?
    If the second scenario applies, who is then responsible for the court costs?
    THANKS!!
    Tags: None

Re: court hearing

Originally posted by blackvelvet View Post
    I have received a county court hearing date from a builders' merchant.
    I have never refused to pay the bill, but I have challenged the amount.
    Their original solicitor wrote to me to tell me he was not representing them anymore, but they have now have a new solicitor acting for them.
    At no time have I refused to pay what I lawfully owe, but I have questioned the amount on the invoice. I have asked them on a few occasions to check the amount and provide me with various information regarding my account. They have acknowledged this fact, but have refused to provide my requested information.
    Either: 1 - Can the county court rule that I must pay the specified amount based purely on their invoice?
    Or: 2 - Will the builders' merchant have to then provide the information I originally requested to ascertain the actual amount owed?
    If the second scenario applies, who is then responsible for the court costs?
    THANKS!!
    Ok the problem is that there is no way we can answer the above without more information.

How much is being claimed? without this info we cant really start to look at costs, although there is also an issue withthe contract itself, if the contract allows legal costs to be recovered then this may change things.
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

The amount being claimed is £950 including court fee and solicitor's costs - it has been allocated to the small claims court.

There is no contract, it is a trade account with a builders' merchant. The situation arose because when I checked the last item I purchased on my account there was no discount. It was their mistake. We then requested that they check our purchases for the last 2 years to ascertain whether or not we received our due discount on each item - they agreed to do this, however despite our reminding them on several occasions they did not do this check, but instead issued a summons for the invoiced amount.

At no time have we refused to pay any monies we lawfully owe, but we question their system and wish to have the amount verified.

Please note that included in the amount are solicitor's costs of £70, but this solicitor has written to us to inform us that he is no longer acting for the builders' merchant. Are we still responsible for their cost?

Please note - we have never refused to pay any money we owe.

Refer to the first query - what options does the court have?

Comment

What have you filled in and sent to the court in the way of paperwork, as you mention you have a date for a hearing? Did you acknowledge the claim/defend it?

The appropriate route is/would've been to admit what you feel you're liable to pay, and defend the balance of the claim on the basis that a discount has not been applied.

In a small claims matter, the court has a wide range of discretion. As regards costs, they're likely only able to claim the solicitor's costs and court fee from you in the event their claim is successful.

The burden of proof is on them to show you owe it, and that the discount does NOT apply. It will be up to you to show that the discount DOES apply.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Does the fact that we have tried everything to get them to ascertain whether the discount is correct or not go in our favour, as surely they should have gone down that avenue before court proceedings were issued?

Yes I have acknowledged the claim and disagreed with it, and made a counter claim based on what I assess that I should have had discounted. However I cannot properly assess this in any way without the cooperation of the builders' merchant.

Can I claim expenses for any witness that I bring?

Comment

The Court expects both parties to try to avoid litigation and use it only as a last resort. If you can show that you've used your best attempts to settle this matter then it will show you in a good light.

If they're suing you for an unpaid account, why are you counter claiming for the reduced portion (if you've not yet paid it?)

You can claim certain expenses as a litigant in person, and the reasonable expenses of your witnesses can be claimed also.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_1207 View Post
              What have you filled in and sent to the court in the way of paperwork, as you mention you have a date for a hearing? Did you acknowledge the claim/defend it?

The appropriate route is/would've been to admit what you feel you're liable to pay, and defend the balance of the claim on the basis that a discount has not been applied.

In a small claims matter, the court has a wide range of discretion. As regards costs, they're likely only able to claim the solicitor's costs and court fee from you in the event their claim is successful.

The burden of proof is on them to show you owe it, and that the discount does NOT apply. It will be up to you to show that the discount DOES apply.
              If the Contract allows for any reasonable costs and fees to be recovered then this will oust the small claims cost rules within CPR rule 27 ( see Shaw v Nine Regions and also Amex v Sahota)

So much depends on the terms of the contract as to what costs are recoverable, also its worth noting contractual costs are akin to costs on the indemnity basis, so its important to look at this point first.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

[QUOTE=blackvelvet;529045There is no contract, it is a trade account with a builders' merchant

There is a contract. If you purchase an item from a seller, there is a contract.
                You will probably find on the back of each invoice the terms and condition that the builder's merchants apply in every case.
                If you had agreed a separate deal with them you might find there is conflict between your agreement and their T&Cs.
                I found this out the hard way some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  There is no contract, it is a trade account with a builders' merchant

There is a contract. If you purchase an item from a seller, there is a contract.
                  You will probably find on the back of each invoice the terms and condition that the builder's merchants apply in every case.
                  If you had agreed a separate deal with them you might find there is conflict between your agreement and their T&Cs.
                  I found this out the hard way some years ago.
                  Indeed, unless the terms are not incorporated into the contract, then you are bound by them. Of course there are also pieces of legislation that apply to terms of contracts such as UTCCR 1999

Comment

Would UTCCR apply in this matter as it is a trade account and therefore presumably business and not a "consumer"?

Comment

Thanks Dan - they're suing us for an unpaid account, but we are counter claiming as we believe the balance of probabilities suggests that they have been overcharging us for approximately 2 years, so we are thinking that they would then owe us money - and this will only be proved one way or the other if they provide the information we have requested, namely the accounts for the last 2 years with the full prices and with our discount, so we can tell whether or not they have charged us correctly or incorrectly.

THANKS!

Comment

Thanks pt2537 - not sure what you mean, but have dug out one of the collection notes & will post anything that seems relevant when I've read it with my magnifying glass!!!

Comment

Thanks des8 - let us know about whether UTCCR is applicable & what that would mean to us - THANKS!!

Comment

Indeed, hence why we need to know more about the case, without more info we are guessing which is dangerous with litigation.

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            Would UTCCR apply in this matter as it is a trade account and therefore presumably business and not a "consumer"?

Comment

PT was suggesting that you might have protection from consumer law.
                              However there is very little protection for businesses from consumer law, which is aimed at protecting the private individual.

From your posts it isn't possible to tell if you have a trade account as a business or an account as a private individual.
                              You mention a trade discount, but this can be given to a private individual who is carrying out eg a house restoration. (I know 'cos I negotiated such a deal many years ago when I renovated some derelict cottages and I am not a builder)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X