• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMCTS and lack of Court paperwork..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMCTS and lack of Court paperwork..

Firstly, I am sorry if this isn't in the right place, it seemed the most applicable.

I had a lovely text message from HMCTS today whilst at work, to inform me that my fine wax outstanding and that further action was going to be taken. So I instantly got on the blower when I got home this afternoon, to find out what the crack was.

Long and short, I owe them £670.

£610 of the above balance is for two separate prosecutions. One in July 2013 and one in December 2013. It is for TV Licensing offences.. My problem is that until today, I didn't know I had been prosecuted. I have lived in my current property since February 2014, and despite paying Council Tax here, being on the electoral role and claiming JSA whilst living here, I have not received one letter from the court or HMCTS to tell me that I had been prosecuted, or that I owe them money - NOT ONE!

The remaining £60 I owe them is due for another offence.

I had a text similar to the one I had today last July - and I rang up then presuming it was for the £60 I owed. I asked what the fine was in relation too, but was told that information wasn't available. Due to being fresh on benefits, they simply deducted £5/fortnight from my JSA.

I am not contesting that I owe this money. I was young and immature, had fresh freedom and was irresponsible with my finances. For the past two years, since finding out I was going to become a fat her, I have taken hold of everything and make sure everything is paid.

My problem is that nearly two years since I was prosecuted the first time, I am only finding out about it NOW. HMCTS were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, and quite rude. But I have honestly never received one sniff of being prosecuted, let alone twice!

my problem is that HMCTS want £225/month for the next 3 months, or they will refer it to Excel Civil enforcement (even bigger sharks).

We can't afford that, I offered £40/month and explained that paying them £225/month would mean our energy bills, and ironically the TV license probably wouldn't get paid - but it just falls on deaf ears. They don't care.

What options do I have? Where do I go with this??
    Tags: None

Re: HMCTS and lack of Court paperwork..

Originally posted by Jimmy44 View Post
    Firstly, I am sorry if this isn't in the right place, it seemed the most applicable.

I had a lovely text message from HMCTS today whilst at work, to inform me that my fine wax outstanding and that further action was going to be taken. So I instantly got on the blower when I got home this afternoon, to find out what the crack was.

Long and short, I owe them £670.

£610 of the above balance is for two separate prosecutions. One in July 2013 and one in December 2013. It is for TV Licensing offences.. My problem is that until today, I didn't know I had been prosecuted. I have lived in my current property since February 2014, and despite paying Council Tax here, being on the electoral role and claiming JSA whilst living here, I have not received one letter from the court or HMCTS to tell me that I had been prosecuted, or that I owe them money - NOT ONE!
    Why were you fined TWICE for not having a TV license? You say you had no knowledge of the fines. Did you ever receive a visit from a TV Licensing agent? They don't just fine anyone who doesn't show as having a TV license on record without checking that you actually have a TV or any other equipment capable of receiving a TV signal.

The remaining £60 I owe them is due for another offence.

I had a text similar to the one I had today last July - and I rang up then presuming it was for the £60 I owed. I asked what the fine was in relation too, but was told that information wasn't available. Due to being fresh on benefits, they simply deducted £5/fortnight from my JSA.
    Do you know the reason for this other fine? You mention both being at work and on JSA, does that mean you were on JSA and have now found work and that's the reason they are no longer being paid their £5 a month now they can no longer deduct from benefits?
    my problem is that HMCTS want £225/month for the next 3 months, or they will refer it to Excel Civil enforcement (even bigger sharks).

We can't afford that, I offered £40/month and explained that paying them £225/month would mean our energy bills, and ironically the TV license probably wouldn't get paid - but it just falls on deaf ears. They don't care.

What options do I have? Where do I go with this??
    When you made your offer, did you back it up with an income and expenditure form showing that's all you can afford?

Comment

Two fines, two separate properties.

The first property, I let the chap into my partners property. She didn't have live TV, I was watching a film from my laptop on the TV at the time. She had a sky box but no subscription card in it as I showed him. He made me sign paperwork, but it did not detail that I owed them anything, neither did it make me commit to anything.

The second property, we has not long moved in and had Sky installed.. He called as I was on the way out to visit my partner in hospital, a week prior to giving birth to our daughter. He knocked at the door, and whilst I said I was on the way out and was just grabbing a bag, he pushed the door open and closed it behind him.
      We set up a direct debit, I didn't pay it. I couldn't afford too for many reasons - I accept that prosecution.

The other fine was in relation to a motoring offence from January 2012, I merely presumed as she couldn't provide the details that it was in relation to that. I had never has any interaction with a court before, only this motoring offence. So what else could it be, that's what I thought?

I made the offer on the phone, she asked me my monthly income after tax, but then only offered £225/month. Despite me saying that I could not afford this, she didn't offer an alternative.

Comment

I think I know what has happened here but firstly, before receiving the text message did you get a Further Steps Notice from the Court?

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
          I think I know what has happened here but firstly, before receiving the text message did you get a Further Steps Notice from the Court?
          Honestly, apart from the text message last July which said the same as the text message yesterday - I have not recieve one scrap of paper from the Court. Not one.. Nothing to say I was going to be prosecuted, nothing to say I had been prosecuted, nothing at all..

I was told yesterday I was prosecuted on the 24th July 2013 & 23rd December 2013 - both at Haverford West.

Comment

Ironically - in this mornings post was a further steps notice..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X