• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SE Water High Consumption reading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE Water High Consumption reading

My latest 1/2 yearly water bill from South East Water seemed rather high & on further investigation I discovered that it was more than double the water we usually use. I checked back to 2008 when we had a new meter fitted and every bill was around 40m-50m. On telephoning SEWater they arranged for someone to read meter & I also did same. The reading was correct & they confirmed there was no leakage, as the meter was not running, however this does not explain why the bill is reading 104m. In the past 6 months we have done nothing different, we have not had a leak, we have had no guests staying. I have not been using my dishwasher or washing machine any more than usual and this checks out with my electricity bill as you would expect an increase here if that was the case.
    I felt so disgruntled that, out of the blue I have to pay twice as much as usual for no apparent reason, and insisted that someone check the meter properly. Within a week a Technician came to my property and again read the meter, which confirmed what we already knew. The meter is working fine and there are no leaks, he then had a cup of tea & left!
    I have now had correspondence from SE Water 'As we have investigated this matter and confirm that there are no issues at the property, we will conclude that there has been an issue with an internal fitting, which has rectified itself, or this is genuine usage. In this instance we can apply a one off allowance for this period of high consumption. Using your normal average daily consumption, you would have used 47m3 for the period of the 8th July 2014 and 2nd January 2015, therefore we can provide an allowance for 57m3. As this is a one off allowance, please confirm if you would like this applied to your water account at your earliest convenience.'
    I would like to know if it is advisable to take the 'one off allowance' when I do not actually know why the bill is as high as it is. I do not want to pay for water I believe I have not received or used however I do not want to accept the strange offer if it means at a future date if I really do have a leakage I will then have to pay for it!
    Does anyone have any advice in this area or been in a similar situation. Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: SE Water High Consumption reading

If the meter is working correctly then the water must have gone somewhere, whether that is a leak in the feedpipe after the meter or a toilet overflowing. as you are responsible from the meter onwards what have you done to confirm that everything is ok other that speak to the water company?

Comment

I have checked the meter myself to confirm that it is not moving when there is no water running, according to the water board this is how they check to ensure there is no leakage. I have checked that none of my taps or toilet cisterns are overflowing, however if they were then the water meter would be moving! I have checked my electricity bill to ensure I have not been over using my washing machine or dishwasher, as mentioned this has not increased. I have checked back in my diaries to see if we have done anything unusual in the last six months but quite frankly we are obviously a very boring family and generally stick to the same old routine year in year out! I have also checked all areas in the garden and outside that there are no wet areas apart from the normal wetness when it rains, I can confirm there are no lush areas of grass that may have been getting extra water! Do you have any other suggestions on how I could confirm everything is ok?
      Last edited by goldenolden; 4th March 2015, 10:53:AM.

Comment

You can have the meter checked but if it is found to be ok you will have to cover the cost

http://www.unitedutilities.com/docum...ter_meters.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X