• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ for statute barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ for statute barred debt

Hi all, I am new to this site, sorry if it's rather long winded, but just need some advice on a CCJ lowell are trying for, on a old welcome finance loan I got back in May 2008. I was having a tough time when I took out this loan and unfortunately had to spend some time in hospital due to severe depression so after I took out the loan only 2 payments where made towards it just after, so I am 99% sure this debt is statute barred.

Lowell group are now trying for a CCJ through BW legal, I received the claim forms back in December, I spoke to a rep at BW legal advising I beleive this to be statute barred and requested a copy of the credit agreement and proof of any payments made, I then filed my defence online advising the same.
    At the beginning of January this year, I received a notice from the court stating Lowell are continuing with the claim, so I emailed bw legal again requesting my credit agreement etc as I still have not received it. They emailed me back stating that they are in touch with Lowell trying to obtain this.

I have since had a email saying this is elegible for telephone mediation so I called the telephone mediation service and explained I was disputing, and he said this is not eligible for mediation because I'm disputing and it will have to go to court.

The original creditor for this loan welcome finance actually went bust a couple of months after I took out the loan, and I have read on other forums that most of their credit agreements where destroyed, I don't know how true this is though.

To date I have still not received anything from Lowell to prove this debt isn't statute barred, and it looks set to go to court. My question is can it still go to court if they don't provide me with the proof I have requested?

Im completely new to all this and have no idea what I'm doing, I have been winging it tbh to get this far with this CCJ busness, have I taken the right steps so far?

Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ for statute barred debt

Welcome aboard
    Originally posted by Skylarker View Post
    Hi all, I am new to this site, sorry if it's rather long winded, but just need some advice on a CCJ lowell are trying for, on a old welcome finance loan I got back in May 2008. I was having a tough time when I took out this loan and unfortunately had to spend some time in hospital due to severe depression so after I took out the loan only 2 payments where made towards it just after, so I am 99% sure this debt is statute barred.

Lowell group are now trying for a CCJ through BW legal, I received the claim forms back in December, I spoke to a rep at BW legal advising I beleive this to be statute barred and requested a copy of the credit agreement and proof of any payments made, I then filed my defence online advising the same.
    At the beginning of January this year, I received a notice from the court stating Lowell are continuing with the claim, so I emailed bw legal again requesting my credit agreement etc as I still have not received it. They emailed me back stating that they are in touch with Lowell trying to obtain this.

I have since had a email saying this is elegible for telephone mediation so I called the telephone mediation service and explained I was disputing, and he said this is not eligible for mediation because I'm disputing and it will have to go to court.
    If the debt is SBd, there's no point in going for mediation since you wouldn't be making any offer of payment, why would you?

The original creditor for this loan welcome finance actually went bust a couple of months after I took out the loan, and I have read on other forums that most of their credit agreements where destroyed, I don't know how true this is though.

To date I have still not received anything from Lowell to prove this debt isn't statute barred, and it looks set to go to court. My question is can it still go to court if they don't provide me with the proof I have requested?
    If they can't show it's not SBd I can't see how they could ever win. My guess is, they will come up with one or more phantom payments allegedly made into the account. Watch out for a statement from Lowell claiming you made some random payment in 2010, that's what they've done in some cases. :rant: :rant:
    Im completely new to all this and have no idea what I'm doing, I have been winging it tbh to get this far with this CCJ busness, have I taken the right steps so far?
    You have indeed! :thumb:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X