• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Probaionary period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probaionary period

Hi began working for a company on the 18th August 2014, where a 6 month probationary period was applied. Then on the afternoon of 18th February 2015 I was informed without warning that my probationary period was being extended by 8weeks in order for my performance to be given time to improve.

Was this too late for them to extend my probationary period as I presumed it would have ended on the 17th February 2015?

should they have completed a 3 month progress review?
    Tags: None

Re: Probaionary period

Hi
    It was not too late for them to extend your probationary period as technically they are still within the 6 month period. However, the main concern I would have is if no one had spoken to you previously about your performance. Technically, a 3 month review should have taken place.

I hope this helps.

kind Regards

Comment

Is this the kind of probationary period where you are paid less during the period, then your pay increases once you've passed it? If so, some cheeky employers have been known to extend it just to get away with paying less. :rant:

Otherwise, from a practical perspective, the only real difference is the notice period, which tends to be just one week on either side during the probationary period, and usually four weeks (three months or 12 weeks in some cases), afterwards. As you need to be with your employer for at least two years before you are entitled to redundancy or to claim unfair dismissal, you can still be easily dismissed after the probationary period is over.

Comment

Thanks for both of your assistance.

One last question... Another colleague who started on the same date as me was also not achieving the performance target I am being managed out on, but they have been made permanent. This doesn't sound right does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Djpix99 View Post
          Thanks for both of your assistance.

One last question... Another colleague who started on the same date as me was also not achieving the performance target I am being managed out on, but they have been made permanent. This doesn't sound right does it?
          No, it certainly doesn't! How do you know your colleague was not achieving their target either? Do you think there may be a chance of discrimination involved?

Comment

My colleague who has been made permanent was achieving higher performance figures than me, however they were still below the target that I am being performance managed on to achieve for be dismissed. The reason I am being treated differently is because I am on a different team to my colleague and their manager has chosen to keep them on. But in my eyes we both work for the same company so should all be treated equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Djpix99 View Post
              They are not managing you out. Your probation has been extended.

If they wanted to get rid of you they could have quite easily done that already and you would not be able to do much about it.

It's very simple. If you have not hit your performance objectives during your initial probation then it is unrealistic to expect to get the job right now. They have therefore extended your probation to give you a chance to improve.

No point looking at anyone else and feel sorry for yourself, better to improve your performance and hit your objectives. If you don't like the job then leave, if you like it then stay and improve your performance levels.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X