• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Letter of concern. Should I sign?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of concern. Should I sign?

Hi. Can someone give me some advice please?

I've been issued with a letter of concern from my employer regarding two points. 1. My refusal to do a particular type of work. 2. Raising my voice to an inappropriate level.

Issue 1 is when I explained to my team leader why i hadn't had time to do work I was asked to do. I did not refuse to do it and the other 3 workers in the office had not had time to do the very same work either, as my team leader is fully aware of.

Issue 2 is my team leader and I strongly discussing the issue why the work was not done.

My employer wants me to sign a letter of concern stating I agree to improve my performance, and if I don't improve then they will take further action. The problem is that I didn't refuse to do the work as the letter states and my voice was at the same level as my team leaders. Also, there was no complaint made about me, just a discussion in a room with my team leader and our manager. No notes were taken. When my manager stated in that meeting she was going to see HR and discuss a verbal warning for me, I asked what for and was told "inappropriate conduct". I asked her to clarify exactly what and she repeated "inappropriate conduct".

A few days so later I was pulled aside by my manager and told I would be issued with a letter of concern.

So my question is, should I sign the document when I don't agree with it? I'm very uncomfortable with signing a document that suggests I'm agreeing with the accusations, when I really don't agree with them at all.

My background is over 10 years in my place of work with no previous complaints, concerns about my work etc

I am planning to leave my role due to this incident as I feel I've been dealt with very unfairly with one persons word believed against mine. Maybe I should sign the document for a quiet life but I don't know how long it will take me to find a new job.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Letter of concern. Should I sign?

Polite bump :-)

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      It's difficult to advise whether or not you should sign this "document".
      Generally if there has been a concern raised which has been dealt with informally (as this seems to have been as no notes were taken at what was a discussion)
      the employer may issue a "letter of concern" suggesting that the employee should improve this or that. If no improvement takes place after a certain period the employer might start formal disciplinary procedures.
      Have they stated what further action they propose if you do not sign?
      If they up it to a formal disciplinary it could impact your job hunting, whereas I doubt a letter of concern would be mentioned in any future reference.

Hopefully others more versed in employment matters will post

Comment

Originally posted by Nice bloke View Post
        So my question is, should I sign the document when I don't agree with it? I'm very uncomfortable with signing a document that suggests I'm agreeing with the accusations, when I really don't agree with them at all.
        Have you not answered your own question?

A letter of concern is an informal warning as well as being a pre-cursor to a formal disciplinary if your performance doesn't improve. You cannot just ignore it or not sign it hoping it will go away. If they have taken action and written you a letter then it is up to you to counteract it.

If you are unhappy with the way you are being treated or feel it is unfair then perhaps you should consider raising a grievance against your manager.
        Last edited by krypton; 25th February 2015, 09:26:AM.

Comment

I have been with my company for over ten years now and at the very start of this I told them (when they took me on) that I was suffering from a long term serious illness - colitis. Since that time I have suffered two colostomies and have various other illnesses that derive from the colitis.

During the time since the last operation (two on top of each other in a nine month period) the second of which I almost died, it was agreed that I should not work alone (we do night and day shift in a large company with just myself and one other worker) and this has been the case up until the appointment of a new site manager recently.

Despite my documented problems, the new manager has looked into my record and stopped the unaccompanied working completely - meaning I have to process and deliver work alone now when my shift partner is off.

Added to this, having called a meeting to discuss my declining health with my office manager the new manager hijacked this saying he wanted to take this, purely on the pretence if discussing my health yet in truth it became a vehicle for him to take this over and just highlight my sick time and supposed lack of production. He feels there is a pattern of my sick days with a large proportion of Fridays therein and now I have received a “letter of concern” from HR and it is very clear this is the beginning of disciplinary proceedings - which of course is denied but it is very clear they want rid of me whatever they say.

Often we have very little work at the weekends (we work Friday to Sunday) but with a confirmed catalogue of illnesses dating back many years they realise it is difficult to dismiss me via my sick record I am sure so are concentrating on this pattern of Friday absences and the supposed lack of work I produce.

The letter of concern is the start of the process no doubt but where will this lead from here and what are my rights in the matter please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X