• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collectors next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collectors next?

I may be jumping the gun but with the Barry Beavis case yet to be decided, it got me wondering when and if there’ll be a test case for DC’s?

It’s known that their markup is no different from firms like ParkingEye and yet they sometimes get away with their demands for full payment for a balance 1) they didn’t pay in full and 2) aren't gonna give any received payments to the original creditor anyway!

In one way, I want Mr Beavis to win because how can an overstay markup go from 25p let’s say (£1 to park and overstay 15mins = 25p owed for losses) to £85?

Continuing, even with an overstay of 2hrs where the ‘charge’ should be £2, still doesn’t justify their demanded huge markup in my view.

When they argue it’s admin fees, there’s no way, getting a reg number from DVLA, the printing of paperwork, putting it into an envelope then giving it a stamp and posting it, amounts to £85+

Then on the other hand, living on a private estate that doesn’t have a parking ticket machine and uses a firm similar to ParkingEye, residents are issued with a free 1yr resident permit and we have to pay £3 a time, for parking vouchers to give to our visitors to display on their car dashboards, means parking will go back to being free.

So if Mr Beavis wins and there’s no means for someone who is not visiting a resident on our estate to pay for parking for 1hr+ let's say, then how can my landlord show their losses if decides to sue privately?

If parking is free again, we're gonna be back to square one, with no where for us to park when we come home as the parking bays will be first come, first served and we live walking distance to shops and a tube line.

Going further, someone visiting a hospital that doesn’t have a parking ticketing machine installed, can park in a bay for as long as necessary and the hospitals too cannot show their losses for that free parking bay being occupied for over 2hrs and no-one else can park in there.

Or have I missed something somewhere where there is a free parking solution and I can’t see it?

Yes, I realise I'm talking as if Mr Beavis has won but surely the judge will see sense?

Back on topic, I hope I live to see the day when someone takes on the DC’s similar to Mr Beavis so there’s a recognised precedent ruling.

At the mo, to me they’re no better than loan sharks with their high markups demands. :ohwell:

Re: Debt Collectors next?

Originally posted by JaneNov
    So if Mr Beavis wins
    Was so shocked to learnt he didn't:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Thought was clear cut case!

Have to wait and see what Supreme Court says.

Has the ruling link being posted here already?

If so, sorry for double posting. If not, and if interested in reading in full the decision, I found it on this webpage.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X