• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

I've not been paid my holiday pay when I've left employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've not been paid my holiday pay when I've left employment

Evening,
    I was employed from 3rd October 14 to 19th January 15. In this time I worked varied hours in total over that period of time I worked 498 hours. I had no contract. I was initially employed for 35 hours a week but I had to work extra when another staff member was killed. I then cut down to 28 hours so that her replacement had enough hours. I would like to know what exactly is owed to me? And if possible advice on what to put into a letter.
    Also I was only there for a short period of time I left without working notice after whistle blowing and feeling like I wouldn't be able to return to the work place can I do anything with regards to that?

Re: I've not been paid my holiday pay when I've left employment

Hi welcome to LB.
    At first glance I would say you had not accrued any holiday entitlement.

nem

Comment

I checked on the gov.uk and it says I have definitely have :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Just around 3 months employment with no contract, would this not depend on the company terms of the "holiday entitlement" period .

nem

Comment

I wouldn't know I never even got any fire safety training never mind knowing any of the company policies. I did take a days holiday whilst employed there and I was paid for it, I don't know if that means anything. But according to gov.uk I should of had 39 hours still to be paid. Based on working 28 hours a week. Or based on the total hours I worked 53 hours owed

Comment

What has fire training got to do with holiday pay?

TBH though, you left after three months, without giving notice and having "blown the whistle", it is hardly surprising that they are not bending over backwards for you?

Comment

Like Steve I don't understand why you are so sure your ex employer owes you anything.
              You worked there approx 3 months.
              If this had been fulltime your statutory holiday entitlement would have been about seven days.
              As you were working part time it would be less.
              As you had been there over a month you needed to give at least a weeks notice Contractually it could have been more.
              I would suggest that your holiday pay and notice period cancel each other out (more or less)

What was the whistle blowing about? Who? what? where? and why do you think it was necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by amandaboro View Post
                I checked on the gov.uk and it says I have definitely have :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
                i put you down for 28 hours per week

don't forget to take off the hours you had off at xmas
                xmas day /boxing day /new years day

The statutory entitlement is 46 hours and 49 minutes holiday.

The employer:
                • can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement
                • must not round down the holiday entitlement, but may round it up
                • must provide holiday pay during the statutory leave
                • can provide more paid holiday - this will be in the employment contract and is called ‘contractual leave entitlement’

Previous answers

Start again
                Is the holiday entitlement based on: hours worked per week
                Do you want to work out holiday: for someone starting and leaving part way through a leave year
                What was the employment start date? 3 October 2014
                What was the employment end date? 19 January 2015
                Number of hours worked per week? 28
                Fixed hours and fixed pay (part time or full time) A week’s holiday pay equals how much a worker gets for a week’s work
                Shift work with fixed hours (part time or full time) A week’s holiday pay equals the average number of weekly fixed hours a worker worked in the previous 12 weeks at their average hourly rate
                No fixed hours (ie casual work) A week’s holiday pay is the average pay a worker got over the previous 12 weeks (in which they were paid)

as you worked about 15 weeks they have to pay you the average of the last 12 weeks

The only time someone can get paid in place of taking statutory leave (known as ‘payment in lieu’) is when they leave their job. Employers must pay for untaken statutory leave (even if the worker is dismissed for gross misconduct).

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...-leaving-a-job
                Last edited by vanman; 20th February 2015, 22:27:PM.
                Don't let them grind you down

Comment

Thank you I ended up ringing acas and they've advised me on my rights and helped me draft a letter regarding my holiday pay.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X