• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Please help! Can I quit Fixed Term Assignment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Can I quit Fixed Term Assignment?

Hello!

I provide services as a contractor (via my limited company) to a client via an agency (my services are: developing software).

My contract (which is between my limited company and the agency) started at the beginning of 2015 and is for one year and in the clause "Notice of Termination Periods" it is saying:

Company to Service Provider: 1 Week
    Service Provider to Company: Fixed Term Assignment

I want to quit and I agreed with the client that I will work for them till end of the week.
    But when I contacted the agency, they said I cannot give notice to them, as I am on "fixed term assignment".

What does this really mean? That I cannot quit and have to work for the client till end of 2015?
    But I already agreed with the client to quit by end of the week.

Can the agency sue me? (Nothing is written in the contract what happens if I quit early). Can they cancel the payments to me (thay month later after the work is done, so can the cancel the payment for the last month)?

Thanks in advance...
    Tags: None

Re: Please help! Can I quit Fixed Term Assignment?

The agency may have a claim against you if they lose commission for them by quitting you need to read the contract?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      The agency may have a claim against you if they lose commission for them by quitting you need to read the contract?

Thanks!

I have such sub-clauses in "Termination" clause:

The Company may Terminate the Agreement forthwith should:

* A receiver, administrative receiver, administrator or similar officer be appointed to the Service Provider or any part of its assets or undertaking, or the Service Provider go into liquidation;

* The Service Provider be unable to fulfil the Agreement, as required for any reason;

* The agreement between the Client and the Company be terminated forthwith by the Client for any reason.

Comment

You have posted this in the employment section and you would have been better off posting this in the buisness section as it is a commercial and contractual matter rather than an employment issue. the set up is as follows:

You are employed by a limited company, the limted company has a fixed term contract with an agencey to provide a fixed term service. You can leave the employ of the limited company, the limted company can agree to move you to another company. The issue is that the limited company has a contract to fulfill with the agencey and if you are the only member of staff then how can you be moved?

I would assume that you have set up a limited company to get around IR35? well the limited company has a contract with the agencey to provide staff and if it fails then the limited company will be liable to the agency. you could cliam that your limited company is unable to complete the contract; however since you have already discussed leaving it could be difficult to claim that you are not terminating as you have had a better offer or it is just not convinent for you.

Comment

ssparks2003, thank you for your response!

I now see that I probably was wrong in my judgements, but my understanding of "fixed assignment" in this case was that if the client does not agree that I leave, i.e. the client needs me to continue working, complete a project, etc., then yes, I cannot quit, as I am under "fixed assignment". But if the client agrees for me to quit, then how the agency can hold me not quitting?

After all the client pays the agency and the agency pays my limited company for the days I've worked for the client; i.e. if I don't work for the client, they don't pay. There is nothing in my contract saying how many days/hours I must work during month etc. and the contract is not saying that I cannot work in parallel for other clients.

So I am wondering what losses the agency can claim from my limited company and on basis of what they can calculate these losses.

After all the agency is a mediator between my limited company and the client, and this "fixed assignment" was for the case the client does not want to let me go.

Comment

Common sense tells me to suggest getting a Legal opinion on this before you find yourself subject to a claim I would expect the contact is worded in a way to suit them not you but until its clear you will get differing opinions

Comment

I'm not sure if the agency could realistically make a successful claim. The clause where they can terminate by giving you a week's notice but you are required to complete the project seems unfair and partial.

When I was a teenager I was told that you should always think carefully what you sign. I took it on board. For example, I always refuse to opt out of the EEA 2003 regulations. Some agencies don't like it but that's there problem, not mine.

Comment

Have to agree with post 7 problem is most of us do not read the paperwork its sometime to long to complicated and most of it will never be relevant

Comment

What the agency wishes to claim and what they would be awarded if anything with differ greatly. I personally belive the agencey is full of wind, but they could claim loss of earnings etc. I would be pretty fair to say that you wont get much work through that agent for a while.

Just remember, you are signing contracts as a director not as an employee.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Have to agree with post 7 problem is most of us do not read the paperwork its sometime to long to complicated and most of it will never be relevant
                    This ignorance is not a good excuse!

Surely points like pay rate, notice period and obligations should be read before signing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X