• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hire Purchase - voluntary repayment possible??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hire Purchase - voluntary repayment possible??

Hi all

I saw someone mention how good it is to see that there are so many other people in the same situation - and it is

My husband and I are not very good with money ... IT seems to run through our fingers. After my two children were born and I had to take time out to look after them when they were babies and toddlers we went to a debt management company (PayPlan). We have been with them for almost seven years (or even longer) and have managed regular payments.

Now, I am self employed and for the last three months my billing as reduced by about £500.00. With an already tight budget, that is not sustainable and we have found ourselves in a position of not paying the mortgage one month, then starting to repay that, but then not pay something else instead.

We have two hire purchase agreements for our cars - and we both need the cars - that are a month in arrears. However, I cannot see that we can keep up the payments or seven set up something to repay the arrears any time soon. So I wonder what our options are.

We are in Scotland and while so far avoiding the equivalent of filing for bankruptcy (or whatever it is called up here) - it seems more and more an attractive option. I am not sure though what it would do to the house and cars etc etc.

Does anyone know, whether you can default on the hire purchase agreement and then set up a voluntary repayment scheme (i.e. for us it would be to add it to the Payplan payments)? Both HPs have more than 50% paid - with one of them having only a year to go, in a five year contract.

If someone could help or point me in the right direction that would be good.

Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X