• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Finacial UK Limited / Capital One - 4-2-2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Finacial UK Limited / Capital One - 4-2-2015

Thought i would update on this as i received 2 letters over the past month and the 2nd is leaving me a bit confused due to the 1st letter.
    ---
    The 1st letter was from Cabot regarding my CCA request and was a follow up to the initial letter stating they wanted 40 days to try and provide it, this letter states they still haven't been able to get it and as such agreed the debt was unenforceable - it went on to do the usual please pay us anyway stuff etc.

The 2nd letter i received today is from Weightmans and it states, we received your defence and can confirm our client does not accept such, accordingly we have written to the count to request the matter proceed as defended.
    -
    This makes zero sense to me, how can Cabot concede the debt to be unenforceable due to the fact they can't provide the CCA information (and still haven't), yet they have then instructed Weightmans to proceed to court despite this?. Also, Weightmans still haven't provided the items requested in my CPR letter, in the letter they sent before about my statue barred claim they claimed to have requested all the info and that they will forward these to me once they have them - to this date i have yet to receive anything.
    -
    So right now i have this situation (posted in order of when i got the letters).

1st: Weightmans are claiming the debt isn't statue barred as they are trying to say the date the debt was listed as defaulted (20th April 2009) is when the course of action starts - as advised i know this to be wrong because "The clock starts ticking (Credit Card) the date a contractual payment was due and not made after which no payment or written acknowledgment was ever made.", as such the debt is long since statue barred as my last payment/written acknowledgment was in July 2008.

2nd: Weightmans have not provided me with the information i have requested via the CPR letter, they stated to me on the 12th of March 2015 they would send this to me once they had it - as of yet i haven't received anything from them regarding the request.

3rd: Cabot sent me a letter stating they can't enforce the credit agreement and that they aren't permitted to obtain a judgement or decree against me via the Court, this is due to them not being able to comply with my request of information under the CCA - this makes sense as it was part of my defence and it is the law, and as of yet i still haven't received anything regarding this.

4th: Weightmans are claiming that Cabot have not accepted my defence, and as such they have written to the Court to proceed with the case - this makes no sense to me at all due to the 3rd part posted above, without the CCA information being supplied they aren't permitted to obtain a judgement or decree against me.
    ---
    I'm not sure how to proceed with this, should i contact Weightmans regarding the Statue barred info they are claiming (in that they are wrong on it being from the date of default) and should i contact them about the fact that Cabot have contacted me stating they can't enforce the agreement or proceed with a judgement or decree against me?.
    Last edited by ZiggyMoff; 9th April 2015, 14:45:PM.

Comment

URGENT.
      ---
      I received a letter from the courts today with the notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track etc, I've read the page on filling this in and need advice on if i should tick the box regarding the mediation service.

The claimant still hasn't complied with any of my requests, in that i still haven't received anything regarding my CCA request and according to the solicitors recent email (i sent them one asking had they got the CCA info now as they had instructed the solicitor to defend the claim) they still haven't gotten an CCA info at all - meaning this is currently unenforceable and no judgement can be made due to this, also i am adamant that this debt is statue barred due to no payments or contact in over 6 and a half years.

Looking at some other threads some people advise on saying yes to the mediation, but as no CCA stuff has been provided and as far as I'm concerned the debt is statue barred should i simply say no to it?.
      ---
      Hopefully someone can advise me ASAP, this form needs to be sent off soon and i am unsure what to do.

Comment

Mediation is a big part of small claims resolution now, and both parties are expected to attempt to settle out of court, however if the claimant in is default of a CCA Request mediation will not go ahead But tick the box showing you are willing to mediate and if the claimant does not come up with the CCA it looks bad for them.
        The debt remains unenforceable until the CCA is provided.
        nem

Comment

Cheers for the response, i ticked I'll accept mediation.

Just wondering on something else, the letter states i need to fill this in and sent it to the court and the other parties, that means i send a copy to the County Court Business Centre and Weightmans (The claimants solicitors) to right?.

Also can i email PDFs of the documents to both (i have Weightmans email address), if so which email do i use for the court? (is it this one? ccbcdefendants@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk) - i want to email then as well as post them to make 100% sure they are received but i can't afford recorded post due to getting JSA only.

Comment

Some solicitors will not accept " service " by e-mail, best sent signed for post for both e-mails are dealt with as and when and there can be delays, you can check deleivery.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by ZiggyMoff View Post
              Cheers for the response, i ticked I'll accept mediation.

Just wondering on something else, the letter states i need to fill this in and sent it to the court and the other parties, that means i send a copy to the County Court Business Centre and Weightmans (The claimants solicitors) to right?.

Also can i email PDFs of the documents to both (i have Weightmans email address), if so which email do i use for the court? (is it this one? ccbcdefendants@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk) - i want to email then as well as post them to make 100% sure they are received but i can't afford recorded post due to getting JSA only.

Recorded Delivery @ most £1.80+ not a lot, use it

Comment

GET free proof of posting, you need to check if Weightmans accept service by e-mail.

nem

Comment

Just an update on this.

About a week and half ago i got an email from the mediation office regarding this CCJ claim, it gave me a time frame to call by (27th of this month) and stated if i didn't it would proceed to court. I gave them a call and explained that i was unable to do the mediation at this time as i still hadn't received any CCA info from Cabot and as such i wasn't in a suitable position to discuss it and i also stated Cabot couldn't enforce the debt without supply this info - i also told them that if the CCA info showed up before the mediation time ran out i would likely call back and see if anything could be sorted out without court (i wasn't going to offer payment etc, I'm still 100% certain the debt is barred)

Roll on today.
                  Today i got a letter fro Weightmans along with a "Notice of Discontinuance" stating they had filed to the court to discontinue all of the claim, this is dated yesterday (13th of May). So for now it seems like its all done, so cheers for the help in this as the advice has been really helpful (without it i really do think i would have likely offered a payment plan or something).

If a mod wants to adjust the title and move this to the concluded cases that would be great.
                  Last edited by ZiggyMoff; 14th May 2015, 13:58:PM.

Comment

Congratulations for holding your nerve

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X