• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can insurance company sue me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can insurance company sue me?

claims management company, acting on behalf of one of the insurance COs. most probebly

What was the name of the company that the solisitors work for. ?

Her scary reply was, "Unfortunately, if they CANNOT claim the money back from MY old insurers, they may pursue ME."
    lol.. they want to claim from you, for a fire, thats was allegedly started by a dropped cigaret but from an ex partner. 5 years ago. From your insurance co.. like i say, dont send them anything unless your compelled to. And you a very very long way away from them being able to claim from you....
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Pity you don't have a copy of the full policy wording.
      However if it was RSA it will almost certainly cover your legal liability as tenant, or your public liability, or even both.
      This means that if the insurance companies don't come to an agreement by themselves, and the old buildings insurer proceeds against you. you in turn can claim against your old contents insurer under the liability section of the policy.
      If you are concerned about speaking to any of these people, tell them next time they contact you that in future all communications are to be in writing.
      This has the advantage of a written record.
      You could write to your old insurers asking them if they have instructed that firm of solicitors.
      You obviously have concerns about her veracity, so check her out before proceeding.

Comment

Just seen your earlier post about "subrogation"
        All that means is that the old buildings insurer could pursue you if you were liable for the loss.
        But in that event you claim against your old contents insurer under the liability section of the policy.

I really don't see this going anywhere.
        As CC suggests CMC employee trying to reduce his companies payout and looking stupid doing it!

Comment

des8
          Thanks for looking into what I provided and you have been a great help. As and when I get further information, I will gladly put the feedback onto the forum, as I am sure it is only fair that an outcome should be recorded for other public to see, if ever they get in this type of dilemma.

Comment

crazy council

I like the way you have worded it, makes even the BIG people in suits look silly and I hope it does, scaring little people like me.

I will be in touch with the forum, if anyone else has anything to add or as and when I hear from these companies.

Comment

Hi

I have had a thorough look and the attached was all I could find as further information relating to my old contents insurance.

:tinysmile_cry_t:
              Attached Files

Comment

So it was an RSA policy. so is almost bound to cover your liability risks.

I don't think the solicitors who wrote to you are acting for your contents insurers.
                There is no reason why your insurers would communicate with you through a third party.
                I would not speak with them, and if they write to you post up here or refer it to your insurers for clarification.

Comment

Hi, des8

Thank you for your reply. If I get another response from the solicitors, should I ask royal sun alliance or the ones who dealt with the claim, to confirm if these solicitors are acting on their behalf? The jigsaw didn't fit and my ex landlord was sharp with me when I told him, I only have a copy of the tenancy agreement and not the original. If they confirm that the solicitors are representing them, what should I do?:tinysmile_aha_t:

Thanks

Comment

Wait and see what, if anything, comes.
                    No point anticipating things and worrying about what may or may not happen.

Comment

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, would you know, what benefit is the rental agreement to either of these insurers?
                      Last edited by Contessa; 10th February 2015, 19:14:PM. Reason: missing word

Comment

they may be looking for any terms that compel the LL or tenant to insurances ( common in commercial contracts ).

I suspect there just looking for any faults, anything they can use...
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

IMO the only reason would be to see if there was a contractual liability if the tenant caused damage to the building.
                          However the landlord is responsible for insuring the building.
                          The tenant cannot effect an insurance on the buildings as they have no insurable interest.

So we have a situation where the fire was caused by your partner (your guest for whom you are responsible).
                          The buildings insurer paid out.
                          It now seems they are trying to persuade your contents insurer to contribute to their payout.
                          If your insurers decline (most likely) this dodgy solicitor is suggesting the buildings insurer might approach you.
                          If they do, you notify your old insurers and claim under the liability section of that contents policy.

Do not communicate with anyone other than your old contents insurer, (that is if anyone ever does get in touch)

Comment

Since, you have all been a great help, I may as well show the letter. I have covered ALL names, addresses etc for my peace of mind. :tinysmile_aha_t:
                            Attached Files

Comment

So, this is the first communication in 5 years since the incident.

Comment

Thanks, but I can't read it as too small and if I enlarge it, it's too blurry!
                                Probably because I'm semi literate around computers

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X