• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can insurance company sue me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can insurance company sue me?

OK, had quick look but section 3.1 to 3.3 inclusive of tenancy agreement missing.
    Also I note your contents policy was not one designed for tenants, so can you post up a shot of section 4 Contents Liability wording and advise who the insurers are?

Comment

Hi

i was a property agent for many years, i ,maybe dealt with 3 fires that were due to tenants accidents. ( stuff near heaters, left something on, and a lighter down the sette ). Normaly ( up to 2003 ), the initial insurance solicitors usually check if there are any other policies involved, way before they accept liability.

5 years after the event is a bit late, you normally would not expect to still have the documents ( COUGH COUGH ) after this time. So you would just instruct the solicitor to deal with the insurance cos, directly, as you have nothing to add...
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Hi

I have done close shots.

Not 100% sure as it was through a broker but may have been Royal Sun Alliance.

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, but I don't think I made myself clear.
          Regarding the insurance policy can you post up the actual wording of section 4 of the policy.
          At this point I think your policy will be covering your public liability upto £2,000,000, and so if you are found liable for the fire the insurance company should pick up the tab.
          However I would like to see the actual wording to make sure.

Comment

Hi

Are you asking that I type ALL of section 4, instead of sending a photo, like I did above?

Thanks

Comment

Section 4: Contents Liability - Included
              Sum insured.................
              Personal liability........................£2000000
              As an employer of domestic employees.............................£5000000
              Unrecovered court damages.............................£1000000

Comment

No.
                I would like to read that section of the policy wording.(photo will be fine)
                I think what you have posted up is from the policy schedule.
                I just want to make certain of the coverage

Comment

Hi des8

If you let me know which #No. I sent it on, I can type and send. I cant see where it says (photo will be fine). Is it under a section: somewhere. The other bit was a definition of the policy, I am guessing bog standard stuff they send out with the paperwork.

thanks

Comment

Hi crazy council.

Thats what I thought, why has it taken them 5 years to the day to send me a letter out the blue asking for tenancy agreement, they knew where I had moved to to, they sent me a cheque covering my contents that had burned. I am sure the landlord would have provided the tenancy agreement to his building insurer and they must have had the chance to look at it then. I will advise the solictors that they need to get the original off the landlord, as I have a copy of the front and the back is of an OLD contract from years ago, which do not link as they are seperate contracts.

Surely, there is a cut off point for when they can continue a claim, unless they only recently decided to open a case?

Thanks

Comment

Hi

whos insurance co is liable is an argument you dont need to get involved with, sounds like one side trying to use you to claim against the other. Let them fight it out like rats, as you and your LL have already been paid.

You could be compelled to disclose any document ( i think by the court ), but thats very unlikely that they would go to that length for a tenancy contract. Unless other sides ( insurance co ) thinks the others clients ( you or LL ) fails to disclose or notify them of anything.

Providing them paperwork at this stage, before your compelled to, is like being invited by the piranhas to dangle your bits in there tank, :tinysmile_aha_t:

Dont in anyway be obstructive to them, but you have no need to be helpfull at this stage. Thats my advise anyhow
                      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I can read everything posted, but it is only the tenancy agreement.
                        It would be good to read the full wording of the insurance policy to make sure your liability was fully covered.

Regarding your original questions I cannot see in your tenancy agreement why you should be held responsible.
                        The landlord is responsible for insuring the buildings (which he did).
                        His insurers are possibly hoping that you had also somehow also insured the buildings, and so the cost of reinstatement would be split 50/50 between them.
                        THe threat that the landlord's insurers would pursue you for a contribution is quite frankly ludicrous.
                        If they should try this tactic, do not respond to them. Instead send the letter (keep a copy for yourself) to your contents insurers and tell them you are making a claim under the liability section. If you enter into correspondence with the landlord's insurers or solicitors your own insures may decline to handle the claim as you may have jeopardised their position.

Cut off is 6 years?

PS why do you think that solicitor is working on behalf of YOUR insurer? Check directly with your insurers before communicating with that solicitor again.

Comment

Hi Crazy Council

I am so anxious that I am afraid to call the solicitors or my old insurers (to get further information) I have already done it once and they sounded deceitful. But what I am more worried about is that I HOPE they do not find me liable. I am so annoyed that my ex partners carelessness has come back to bite me after so long and, we split shortly after the fire. I can do without going to court and having bailiffs banging on my door - if it EVER got to that stage. What I found odd was my landlords comment last week on the phone. "How did your old insurers track you down?" They knew where I lived. All too strange for my liking. Hence why I am seeking advice on this forum, first time.

thanks

Comment

Do not worry to much the insurers will fight this out between themselfs I think Des may agree probably unlikely you will be paying this is what you pay premiums for

Comment

Hi des8

Photos on #12,#13,#14 are all I have for the contents insurance paperwork. The rest is the credit agreement and my personal details (that I had to double check). I chucked most of it away as I felt I did not need to keep it.

#10, #11 is the back of the non - signed rental contract. Landlord is unsure if he has the signed ones, without checking his paperwork.

Do you think, that if the landlords insurers do not pursue me that MY contents insurers might?

The reason I know it is my contents insurer requesting the copy of the lease is:
                              I called the solicitors that sent a basic letter saying they are acting on behalf of a insurance company.
                              I questioned, "Which insurance company are you acting on behalf of?"
                              She replied, "Your insurers".
                              I questionned, "Why have they never sent me a letter as this is the FIRST I am hearing about this?"
                              She advised, "The building insurers, have been asking the contents insurers to pay half the money, but they have NOT contacted us for 4 months, BUT if the building insurers decide to proceed in the future to recover HALF of the payout cost (when the landlords property was re-built at the back), we would like your tenancy agreement on file.
                              I asked, "What if they cannot claim off my OLD insurers, where do I stand?"
                              Her scary reply was, "Unfortunately, if they CANNOT claim the money back from MY old insurers, they may pursue ME."
                              She was so vague that I felt I should call my OLD insurers to confirm that they have actually hired these solicitors.
                              I am too afraid to, incase I keep putting my foot in it.:tinysmile_cry_t:

thanks

Comment

Hi Wales01man

When I started researchng on the famous GOOGLE, to find cases, there wasn't really much on there. However, there was something about subrogate whereby insurance companies got money out of clients due to negligence. Which is why I do not understand why my previous contract is SO important. I felt they were looking for loopholes, which by all means both insurance companies obviously want to find something that gives them more leeway. Then I started thinking, maybe they might find a loophole which will point the finger at me. All too stressful, makes the mind work overtime.. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X