• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RIGHT to Coverture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIGHT to Coverture?

Compulsory Coverture of married women was largely washed away by Married Women's PropertyAct in 19th Century. However, no legal act forbids a woman to take advantage of her RIGHT to coverture if she WANTS or she NEEDS so...

Hence, my question:

Is a wife legally able to name her husband as her representative anymore? If the answer is 'yes' than has a Court tort by refusing to aknowledge this right? Is it the same principle going to apply in both civil and criminal cases?

Thank you very much in advance for your opinions!
    Tags: None

Re: RIGHT to Coverture?

In my view no, the concept of coverture was abolished, it was more though than appointing her husband representative the law regarded the couple as one and the woman submitted to the authority and protection of her husband. Effectively her legal identity was extinguished and her property automatically became that of her husband.

No court would now recognise such a concept, quite apart from anything else to do so would contravene virtually every Article of the ECHR. Quite how it could possibly apply in criminal cases is beyond my tiny mind.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X