• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newbie in desperation - fraudulent HCEO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in desperation - fraudulent HCEO?

Hi all,
    My story is long, and rather boring... but also rather hellish. So i will try to condense it as much as poss... I need advice about what my next step should be, and whether i have a case against the HCEO and/or the solicitors (who happen to be the same company as the HCEO under a different name).

I own a shop. A very small shop. Selling fairly high value goods. We set up in January 2014, and in October 2014 we had to move premises as we'd outgrown the orignal ones. When we moved we told everyone we had an account with. Including company X, who we had a 60 day account with and owed some money to (£3000ish). When we notified them we had moved, i spoke to accounts person at company X and told them i was expecting a hefty VAT rebate, around the end of november, and it would pay their account off. There was a slight issue with the goods they'd supplied (they were available to customers direct at trade price, and therefore impossible to sell, they had originally agreed to take the goods back if they weren't sellable, they changed their mind... but this is kind of irrelevent, only setting the scene....)

We moved, i didn't hear anything, my VAT rebate was delayed as my dork of an accountant (now ex accountant) took so long putting them in, and i got an inspection as the rebate was indeed rather hefty.

Here's the meaty stuff, in case you were starting to nod off...
    On 22nd december, i arrived at the shop at approx 10.10am to find my staff member in tears and a man saying he was a high court sheriff come to empty the shop. He said i had to pay £5789 or else he was going to empty my shop. I panicked. Proper panicked. And had a member of staff crying. I asked to see identification, he REFUSED to show me, and he hadn't shown it to the staff member when he came in. He made no attempt to disguise who he was to either the staff member, or indeed customers in the shop. He said he was employed by the High Court to take my stuff unless i paid then and there. I was literally speechless, and plugged my phone in to charge as the battery was flat, and i had to charge it to do phone banking to transfer the money as i didn't have my card on me. I DID NOT AT ANY POINT REFUSE TO PAY. When my phone charged, i logged onto banking and didn't have enough money, so i called my lovely friend who let me put the remainder on her credit card. She was having her nails done at the time so said she'd dig out her card and call me back in 2 mins. The HCEO was completely aware that I was intending to pay all the money.
    I also rang my husband, who asked to speak to the HCEO. My husband is a police officer. HCEO told him he was here to collect the debt for company X, and my husband suggested HCEO letting me ring Company X as they'd take the items back (the debt consisted of 4 high value items). HCEO said it wasn't Company X's debt anymore. It was his, and nothing they said would make a difference. He refused to let me call them or the court.
    My husband said he would come see me, as i was a snotty tearful mess. HCEO said if my husband attended in uniform he was breaking the law, and he would have him sacked. I said my husband wouldn't be in uniform, HCEO said if he attended at all he would be sacked. In hindsight i think he realised my husband might be more astute than a snot-covered me, and ask to see paperwork. I was not shown ANY paperwork, with ANY figures on. But stupidly had agreed to pay him whatever he wanted. Whilst all of this happened, HCEO had taken my payment from my card, and my friend had called back with her card. And he was starting to take payment for that. But, we live in the middle of nowhere, and our shop is an industrial building with no reception... so it took him a while to get the payment to go through. When my husband turned up (not in uniform and off duty) he asked to see the paperwork, and how the HCEO had got to the figure of 5,789. My husband being the non flappable type even had the sense to photocopy all the paperwork. The figure on the judgement that he had was 3,465. Whilst the HCEO was sat down, once he had been told i was paying and had started to run the payments through.... he started to note down things i had in the shop. And he also noted down my car registration. This was only done once i had agreed to pay. I know this for a fact as i agreed to pay as soon as i arrived, and my car wasn't actually there until i arrived.

I was given a receipt for the 5,789 (meant to have been 4,400 on one card, 1,400 on t'other). And he left.

The next day HCEO rang my shop in a mood, saying he had left his receipt book here. He hadn't. I told him i hadn't seen it.

Christmas then happened. And i had an accident and broke my back (i'm fine, just a bit drugged up).

Fast forward a little bit... (please note, in the meantime i've been completely freaked out by the whole situation, how a man can literally turn up and demand that amount of money from me, and come so close to taking all my stock and destroying what i have worked so hard for.... with NO warning. I panic everytime a car pulls up to my shop, and i've barely slept)

Yesterday (6-7 weeks after my visit from HCEO) i was doing my accounts for the VAT man, and saw on my online bank thingy that the day he came, he had taken £14 from my card instead of 1400 (i called my friend and she confirmed he had taken 4700 from her card (£300 more than they said they would)). I thought perhaps the HCEO had realised he was charging me too much. But, just in case, i rang the court to see if my CCJ thing had been lifted, as it had been paid (as far as i was aware) in full within a month of the judgement. And, when you're running a small business that relies on credit, and hoping to remortgage soon a CCJ is the worst thing to have...

And i find out the debt hasn't been paid off. So i ring the solicitors (Thomas Higgins) and they tell me the HCEO company (Andrew Wright) have not given them the money yet. I later found out they are the same company, but at the time they spoke to me like they were different companies, and that they had no control over what the HCEO were doing. I argued that they employed the HCEO company and therefore were responsible for them. They denied this and turned rather nasty. At this point i thought it was odd for a 'solicitor' company to be so very unprofessional. I demanded to know 1) where my money was and 2) why the CCJ hadn't been cleared. They said they'd look into it and call me back...

In the meantime i looked into fees and realised there are set fees that HCEOs can charge. And then i looked at all the court stuff i had since collected from the old address... and it dawned on me that i had perhaps been conned... I called them and said this, and they said that the HCEO had 'pressed the wrong buttons' on his machine... and therefore i still owed them £1100. I laughed and said i thought they owed me money as they had charged me FAR more than the fees they were allowed. He said if i didn't pay immediately they were coming back to take my stuff. He said they had charged fees for enforcement stages because i had refused to pay. TOTAL LIE. However, again, because i didn't want them turning up at my shop I have paid them the money they wanted. They took some money off, as a goodwill gesture.

1. the solicitors/HCEO had my correct address from 14th November, they have confirmed this. Yet they took the case to court with my old address. The court hearing was 1st december and all correspondence was sent to the old address. 24hrs later on 2nd December they got the writ from the High Court to attend my address... oh, what a surprise, the correct address. Again, nothing was received. No notice at all until they appeared on my doorstep.
    2. the HCEO added over £2,300 to the court judgement for attending my address once
    3. when questioned, they claimed i had refused to pay and therefore i was being charged for disposal etc of goods. This is untrue. I never ever ever did anything other than madly scrabble around to get the money. From the first second that i spoke to him, all i did was agree to pay every penny as i was SO freaked out. And no goods of mine were even touched. They say he entered my address at 10am and left at 11.05 which apparently is 'proof' that i refused to pay... when actually that is because he had crap signal.

Last night, i called ActionFraud, and asked if I had grounds to say they had been fraudulent. they said that if they have taken money for services that they hadn't provided (eg removal of goods) then yes it's fraudulent. They have given me a crime number etc.
    I have emailed a complaint to both the solicitors/HCEO company advising them that i am going to complain to the relevant bodies (HCEOA and Law Ombudsman). The court have also sent me out a form to fill in to do something (appeal the court thing?).

So, that was a bit of a long one... does anyone know if i have grounds to get the court thing quashed? Maybe fees etc paid back? Could i claim for damages? Will they lift my CCJ? I am struggling to see the light at the end of this horrible tunnel. And it's causing no end of stress.

(sorry it is so long... ) thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Newbie in desperation - fraudulent HCEO?

have you checked this HCEO or his company are legit?

Comment

Um, i presume so. They seems to be a solicitor firm. How would i check that?

Comment

Is there paperwork with the HCEOs name on

Comment

Yes. The paperwork my husband got from them (and copied) had their details on. After their visit I went to the old address and found the court paperwork. And the court were aware of the case when I called them. So I believe it was a genuine court case and that they had the case. But that they took the mickey when the HCEO realised how quickly I would cough the money up. And he charged me for all the 'stages' (eg as if he had had to remove and sell my stuff).

Comment

I have sent a complaint to HCEOA and they are going to check and see if the companies (well company as the 'solicitor' and the HCEO are actually the same company) are registered with them.

Comment

You seem to be doing the right things with your complaints.

Comment

Hi Welcome,
                HCEO's don' make appointments or notify visits like county court bailffs once a High Court writ is issued they act almost immediately and have far more powers than a bailiff.

Fee and Charges rose dramatically in 2014 which I guess is what you have been hit with.

You probably should check all the paperwork really thoroughly before making any complaint which could cost you more.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                  Hi Welcome,
                  HCEO's don' make appointments or notify visits like county court bailffs once a High Court writ is issued they act almost immediately and have far more powers than a bailiff.

Fee and Charges rose dramatically in 2014 which I guess is what you have been hit with.

You probably should check all the paperwork really thoroughly before making any complaint which could cost you more.

nem
                  Sorry but that all changed in April 2014. HCEO's also have to send out a Notice of Enforcement giving 7 clear days notice (Charge £75 +VAT), within the 7 days you are supposed to contact them tp pay in full or a suitable payment arrangement. Even to make an arrangement to pay will result in a visit as the terms of the Writ dictate that goods must be taken into Control (Charge £190 +VAT +7.5% of any amount over £1000). In my opinion you have been royally screwed and should be writing for a complete breakdown of the fees they charged.

You do have grounds for Set Aside as all the paperwork does appear to have been deliberately sent to an old address to ensure a Default Judgment was obtained. Cost of this application is £155 and is done on Form N244. If granted then all monies including fees must be reimbursed to you.

Comment

Based on a £3000 (ish) debt, with one visit, the fees would have been about £415. A full breakdown is needed ASAP.

VAT would only be added if they VAT registered.

Comment

It looks like this was set up to gain a default judgment, do as ploddertom suggests, it does look like they are trying to add spurious fees as if they are using the old pre April 6th 2014 regs.

As the amount paid over included the creditors bill and you could have afforded to, pay the invoice had the court papers been delivered correctly, you have a good chance that set aside will be granted the CCJ was gained by deceptioion in effect. Uuse that crime number as if the breakdown is at severe variance with the Post April 6 2014 fee scale, well it could be construed as fraud possibly, but plod would likely cry "It's Civil"

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
                        Uuse that crime number as if the breakdown is at severe variance with the Post April 6 2014 fee scale, well it could be construed as fraud possibly, but plod would likely cry "It's Civil"
                        they did say 'it's civil', but when i told them i had a bit of paper saying i had been charged for 'further enforcement action including sale or disposal' they agreed that i had been mis-charged... so fingers crossed they'll be of some assistance...

i'm just SO angry that some thug (and he really was a thug) can turn up and take so much money, and it appears illegally. I feel like i have to make a stand, and push for as much action against them that i can. thank god my husband had enough sense to take his paperwork and copy it. also, probably the worst of it is, depsite me having paid it on Thug Day... which was within the time to not get a CCJ on my account... because they didn't use my money to pay off the debt it has gone through as a CCJ... and i work in a sector where all CCJs are published in the national trade magazine, so now ALL of my suppliers and potential suppliers think i have had a CCJ. And... i was hoping to remortgage this year to release some equity to build my business, which will be scuppered now. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                          Based on a £3000 (ish) debt, with one visit, the fees would have been about £415. A full breakdown is needed ASAP.

VAT would only be added if they VAT registered.
                          i am VAT registered, does that make a difference? or do you mean the company? i will ring them now for a full breakdown and ask if they are VAT reg.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                            Sorry but that all changed in April 2014. HCEO's also have to send out a Notice of Enforcement giving 7 clear days notice (Charge £75 +VAT), within the 7 days you are supposed to contact them tp pay in full or a suitable payment arrangement. Even to make an arrangement to pay will result in a visit as the terms of the Writ dictate that goods must be taken into Control (Charge £190 +VAT +7.5% of any amount over £1000). In my opinion you have been royally screwed and should be writing for a complete breakdown of the fees they charged.

You do have grounds for Set Aside as all the paperwork does appear to have been deliberately sent to an old address to ensure a Default Judgment was obtained. Cost of this application is £155 and is done on Form N244. If granted then all monies including fees must be reimbursed to you.
                            He only visited, he didn't touch my goods. He did start to list them once i had already agreed to pay, and he was waiting for his machine to run my payment through. The proof of this is my car's registration plate is on the list... and he didn't get that until i arrived (a few minutes after him) and i immediately went into stupid, pathetic, roll over and agree to pay everything mode. (i could kick myself, a lot)

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                              Hi Welcome,

nem
                              As far as google tells me, the first visit should be 190 plus 7.5% of the debt over £1000?... does this mean if the debt is 3600 the 7.5% is charged on the 3600 or the 2600 that is over the £1000? hmmm

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X