• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment tax credits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment tax credits

Hi

i have received a letter from HMRC stating we owe 668.75 in overpaid tax credits(family tax credits actually) which confused me

i phoned them back about it and they told me it is connection with a failure to notify a child leaving education in 2005!!!!

Am I right to say this should be statute barred as I have no recollection of any correspondence relating to this?

if so how do I go about contesting it or is the fact that it is HMRC a no go

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment tax credits

Hi, " Government" debts do become statute barred there is a big BUT in that statement!
    Government departments can and will pursue debts literally for ever and have sweeping
    rights of recovery now without recourse to the courts such as Attachment of Earnings.

You can request the HMRC provides evidence of the over payment using the provisions
    of the Data Protection Act 1998 by making a Subject Access Request for all the personal
    data held by the department. HMRC does Not require the £10 statutory fee to be paid and has 40 days to comply.

The is one point with this type of debt it will not go away.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
      Hi, " Government" debts do become statute barred there is a big BUT in that statement!
      Government departments can and will pursue debts literally for ever and have sweeping
      rights of recovery now without recourse to the courts such as Attachment of Earnings.

You can request the HMRC provides evidence of the over payment using the provisions
      of the Data Protection Act 1998 by making a Subject Access Request for all the personal
      data held by the department. HMRC does Not require the £10 statutory fee to be paid and has 40 days to comply.

The is one point with this type of debt it will not go away.

nem
      Thanks Nemesis

Do I just ring them and ask for that info then?

Are they obliged to take circumstances into consideration re payment arrangements if it is correct?

thanks again

Comment

A written request is needed, you will wait for ever if you phone,
        Yes circumstance will be considered, if you are on benefits the
        process is to ask you how much you can reasonably afford to pay
        without causing hardship.

An income/ expenditure statement may be required, so have one ready
        prepared.

nem

Comment

Will do and thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X