• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff enforcing warrant against non-existent company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff enforcing warrant against non-existent company

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the situation I'm facing. This week a bailiff visited our shop, waving a warrant of execution for a company that has no presence on the premises. This was made very clear very early on, but he was persuaded to leave only after charging around like a bull in a china shop for an hour and a half, scaring off customers (and he had to be physically blocked from entering the residential area above the shop, which would have done wonders for our relationship with our landlord...). He threatened to return in 2 days, leaving only after speaking to the police on the phone.

We then discovered that the company the warrant is for not only has no presence on the premises but was dissolved years ago; the warrant is surely unenforceable since the respondent doesn't exist! On being told this by phone, the bailiff said he didn't care and he'd still be coming back to demand proof that every item on the premises doesn't belong to the respondent (!), and taking whatever we don't have proof for - we can petition to have it back later! Eventually he bullied a senior member of our staff into personally paying the debt over the phone to prevent the bailiff's return - a debt neither he nor we as a company nor our premises has any responsibility for!

Reading this site I'm scared off doing an EAC2/Form4 despite the fact the guy clearly isn't fit to run a whelk stall, but I'd still like to try a small claims procedure for loss of sales and reputation, and I'm considering going to the police to ask them to consider this fraud.

I appreciate this isn't a consumer bailiff issue, but there are parallels with situations like the wrong person on the warrant, or the person's died, say, and the bailiff being hardcore "I don't care - you, standing in front of me at this address, pay me". And at the end of the day, although we as a small company are trying to deal with it, the debt has been paid by the wrong person, personally. So bearing that in mind, any advice?
    Last edited by Bc7HDO; 29th January 2015, 14:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiff enforcing warrant against non-existent company

What type of debt was it for? Where was the Bailiff from?

Comment

Not your debt, not in your name, not in your business name - the bailiff hasn't a leg to stand on, but is obviously one of the neanderthal types.

The warrant can't be enforced on the address, only the names stated. As plodder above says, find out what the debt is for and who is owed (ie the council, courts, etc) and contact them. If the bailiff tries anything stupid call the police and report a disturbance or theft in progress - no messing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bc7HDO View Post
        Eventually he bullied a senior member of our staff into personally paying the debt over the phone to prevent the bailiff's return - a debt neither he nor we as a company nor our premises has any responsibility for!
        HI
        Could you clarify this for me please, it sounds like an employee paid the bailiff for an alleged company debt out of their own money, why on earth would they do that or even be allowed to by the company ?

The bailiff accepted payment from a private individual who has nothing to do with the company on the warrant if I have this right.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
          HI
          Could you clarify this for me please, it sounds like an employee paid the bailiff for an alleged company debt out of their own money, why on earth would they do that or even be allowed to by the company ?

The bailiff accepted payment from a private individual who has nothing to do with the company on the warrant if I have this right.
          If the bailiff was given proof of the identity and name of the current occupiers of the premises he should have withdrawn. To demand payment would imho be criminal in nature.
          Looks like the Staff Member was intimidated in an unlawful manner, was scared for their personal safety, and paid under duress to get rid of the bailiff. In any event if police had already spoken to the bailiff and he went away, a complaint to police about the bailiff taking money might be an option along with any other actions

What Enforcement Company was this, was it the Can't Pay We'll Take It Away crowd?

This stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
            If the bailiff was given proof of the identity and name of the current occupiers of the premises he should have withdrawn. To demand payment would imho be criminal in nature.
            Looks like the Staff Member was intimidated in an unlawful manner, was scared for their personal safety, and paid under duress to get rid of the bailiff. In any event if police had already spoken to the bailiff and he went away, a complaint to police about the bailiff taking money might be an option along with any other actions

What Enforcement Company was this, was it the Can't Pay We'll Take It Away crowd?

This stinks.
            This is what I would like clarifying, having worked for numerous firms in my life , I cannot imagine a situation where I would dip into my pocket and settle an employers bills(real or imagined), or be asked to for that matter.

Comment

This is what I would like clarifying, having worked for numerous firms in my life , I cannot imagine a situation where I would dip into my pocket and settle an employers bills(real or imagined), or be asked to for that matter.
              Agreed, as the bailiff was enforcing against an unknown non occupying debtor, I would be in jail now for obstructing him contrary to the new Regulations when I chucked him out of the door with undue malice, and reasonable force, to await a claim for unlawful arrest and unlawful detention, for obstructing a bailiff with no right to be on the premises. if plod got silly.

No way would I pay, or allow another staff member to pay either.

Is DSI foods still good?

Comment

I would argue that one.

A multi national that owed me money refused to pay despite a High Court Order - not a CCJ - and the employees had to have a whip round when they were called upon.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                  I would argue that one.

A multi national that owed me money refused to pay despite a High Court Order - not a CCJ - and the employees had to have a whip round when they were called upon.

That is what I call loyalty above and beyond.

Comment

"it sounds like an employee paid the bailiff for an alleged company debt out of their own money, why on earth would they do that or even be allowed to by the company ?"

The senior employee is also a major shareholder in the small business trading from the premises. Hence the duress relating to the threatened business disruption. Picking up the phone and paying company bills by card is something he does routinely - just not normally for other people's companies!! (NB no-one asked him to pay off the warrant, quite the contrary when he suggested it, he just did it because he couldn't face the stress of worrying about the bailiff returning.)

"The bailiff accepted payment from a private individual who has nothing to do with the company on the warrant if I have this right." - Yes.

Comment

Debt was a PCN. Bailiff was from Newlyn PLC.

Comment

"find out what the debt is for and who is owed (ie the council, courts, etc) and contact them." - thanks, we've got that info (which Council's PCN) and are writing to the council for compensation (and the return of the money extorted from the employee). Also will be writing the bailiff's certificating court to let them know what the chap feels licenced to do, in case they care (NOT with any EAC2/Form 4 paperwork though, just a letter!).

Comment

You need to establish from where the bailiff was from, and establish who was the creditor. Was it the council, courts, another business or an individual? The money must be refunded.

It's a bone of contention at the moment, but if he paid by card, he could do a chargeback with the bank. He never owed the money so it has been taken fraudulently under duress and threats.

Comment

Now my post looks out of place as you posted as I was typing! :colbert:

Anyway, looks like you're on top of it - you know the court involved and they need to arrange the refund ASAP.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X