• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Rates been passed to an enforcement agent - What happens next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Rates been passed to an enforcement agent - What happens next?

Hi

I have a small business and it is coming up to the end of the first year trading.

Things have not been as good as we had hoped and I have been unable to pay our business rates. The total owing is 25k. My other bills have been mostly kept up to date. I have not been taking any salary or monies at all during the last 10 months.

The business is still viable i believe and i would hope that within a year I might be able to pay backa good chunk of this.

I was speaking with the council and they agreed to call me to discuss an arrangement. I received no call and today have had a letter from an enforcement agent. I called the council to find out why this has happened and they said I have been left 2 messages, (which i had not received), and it had been passed on. They advised me to speak to the person i was talking to at the council but in the meantime contact the agent to show you are willing to talk.

I called the agent and offered them 5k to be paid back by the end of March and then £1k a month until it is cleared. They said that would not be acceptable and that a 12 week period is the most they would wait. They then said that someone would come round in around a week to make notes of all the assets in the business.

I explained that there aren't really many assets as most of the equipment is on lease and we would probably have to close the business and she said that that would not stop them coming round and carrying out their work. They would then have to look into my personal assets.

I have been told that they should accept an offer of an arrangement if it is reasonable. What is considered reasonable. There is no way I could pay more than £1k a month.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

Hamish
    Tags: None

Re: Business Rates been passed to an enforcement agent - What happens next?

Are you a Sole trader?

Comment

I have a limited company. The lease has the limited companies name on it

Comment

Good in a way they can only seize goods belonging to the company although you may have to prove ownership by others of items they see .

Comment

Have a go at your local MP..... The council have an obligation to collect up rates however they are sometime ridiculously inflexible with arrears and doesn't look good if the local MP is jumping up and down making a noise when they are trying to wheedle more block grant... Is an election year too... Make the most I say... One time in five years they come and kiss the electorates As so as to speak! :tongue2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X