• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confused over Statutory Demand Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused over Statutory Demand Notice

Hi all

On 24 Dec 2014 I received a letter before action from Wilson Rose saying I had to pay just short of £1200 before 31st Dec 2014 to avoid receiving a SD and Legal Action.

I don't deny owing the money and am willing to pay it but I cannot afford to pay it in one lump sum. On the 29th Dec 2014 I sent a cheque made payable to Wilson Rose for just short of £500, along with a covering letter stating that I am willing to pay the debt £100 per month until settled along with the cheque.

The cheque was cashed and the money left my account but I didn't receive any sort of response from my letter up to until yesterday when I received a notice to serve an SD from Pro Serve Investigations, dated 19 Jan 2015. According to this letter someone attended my house on the 11th Jan 2015 also but I wasn't home.

I have emailed Wilson Rose as instructed to on the letter but not received any response as of yet.

I am worried that they are going to chase me for the full amount even though I have paid off nearly half of it. Also I was under the impression that a SD could not be served on debts less than £750.

Any advice / comments gratefully received!!
    Last edited by ASL3212; 23rd January 2015, 12:16:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Confused over Statutory Demand Notice

Would this be for a debt with consumer-net for a PPI refund ? (just as there's someone else on the site with the same Stat Demand)

Also I was under the impression that a SD could not be served on debts less than £750.
    That is correct.

Do you have evidence of the payment of £500 ?
    The cheque was cashed and the money left my account
    Dig that evidence out.

They may have added more charges since then to take it back over £750 - wrong of them if they have but your £500 only took it to £700 so it is a possibility.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Speak of the devil http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...sputed-invoice

Can you post up the notice to serve the statutory demand please, removing any personal information.

No, SD can't be served on debts of less than £750.

Comment

I've just been reading that thread!! I'll try and take a picture now.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1297_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1163818

Comment

The only evidence I have of the cheque is on my bank statement but it doesn't say who the recipient is. I feel I may have made a huge mistake sending it. I still have the proof of posting the letter and it shows up on the RM website.

Comment

Okay best thing to do might be to give WilsonRose a call and find out why they have issued the Stat Demand and if they had received your cheque and offer of £100 a month.

If you don;t get anywhere with them, give the process server a call and arrange to accept service of the SD so you can deal with it.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by ASL3212 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]15736[/ATTACH]
                I can't open this, can you send it to admin@legalbeagles.info

Comment

Originally posted by ASL3212 View Post
                  The only evidence I have of the cheque is on my bank statement but it doesn't say who the recipient is. I feel I may have made a huge mistake sending it. I still have the proof of posting the letter and it shows up on the RM website.
                  You should be able to order a copy and the bank should be able to tell where it was cashed. You have evidence you sent it and of it leaving your account.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                    I can't open this, can you send it to admin@legalbeagles.info
                    That'll probably be because I had it open, stupid system glitch, try again in a few mins or see if it shows up below;

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I'll try again. I sent it to the email address but it must be a corrupt file or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Okay best thing to do might be to give WilsonRose a call and find out why they have issued the Stat Demand and if they had received your cheque and offer of £100 a month.

If you don;t get anywhere with them, give the process server a call and arrange to accept service of the SD so you can deal with it.
                        Just bumping that up in case you missed it.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

That was the next thing I was going to do but I wanted to make sure it was the right thing

Comment

I reckon so, as you aren't disputing it and have already paid £500 and offered £100 a month, the best thing you can do is contact the litigious little buggers and find out what they are playing at sending process servers round.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

It says on the original letter received 24/12 that they will instruct a process server if I haven't made contact by the 31st. I have proof they received my letter on the 30th. Its a bit sneaky sending time limited letters over the Christmas period!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X