• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales are coming tomorrow and I'm scared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales are coming tomorrow and I'm scared

I'm absolutely petrified I've received a hand delivered letter today literally into my hand as I was leaving for a job interview. I owe council tax of 911.50 which I was set up on a payment plan for, the first payment being £152 and due 31st dec. my bank card expired and I had to register my new one, on there offices openin after Xmas I rang and explained the situation and was told I could pay on the 31st jan and each month thereafter and that would be ok. Yesterday I got a letter saying an agent would be visiting in 7 days unless I made a payment. I was going to do it tomorrow when my other half gets paid and them today a mr ball from rossendales shows up. As nice a pie. Hands me this other letter that has apparently cost me £235 to receive. Long story short I have 3 children ages 3, 19 months and 10 weeks old. I will be by myself tomorrow and he's coming back at 12. He wants to come in Nd sign paperwork. What is this? Never dealt with bailiffs before an I'm so scared!!
    Tags: None

Re: Rossendales are coming tomorrow and I'm scared

Bailiffs quite often tell you that they'll be back, when they really have no intention of attending. They use it as a scare tactic, to intimidate debtors into paying in full.

The most important thing to understand is that you are not obliged to allow Mr Ball, or anyone else from Rossendales, into your home and under no circumstances should you. The big worry is if you have a car. The bailiffs can get hold of this without gaining entry to the house.

You could try writing a letter to the council, asking why they have gone back on what you were advised over the telephone.

Comment

What if he comes tomorrow what do I do? Not let him in? I rang rossendales and asked could I just set up another payment plan as it wa only one payment I missed an got told that mr ball is her superior and she can't go above his head. He kept telling me he just wants to come in for 5/10 minutes to sign some paperwork I keep a copy an so does he and them we arrange a first payment date and he's thinking 50-60 a month instead of the 152. He seemed nice but as the days gone on I've got myself more worked up and I'm absolutely petrified now about what will happen tomorrow. He said it's the law we need to do this paperwork it cNt be done over the phone. Is he spinnin me a yarn? What do I say to him? He said I was his last chance. Sorry for all the questions I'm sat up now knowing I'll be awake for a night feed and my head is spinning.

Comment

My other half has the car for work, it's on HP. He won't be in tomorrow until 4/4.30 and the bailiff said he'll be round at 12

Comment

Whatever you do do not let him in contact tne Council first thing if they insist you must deal with the Bailff come back for advice from others on here

Comment

Any idea what this paperwork is? Is he planning on making a list of my possessions? Ah god I'm so scared I don't want the kids here and I've a feeling the council will just tell me I have to deal with the bailiffs, is there a way to force them to deal with me instead of me dealing with bailiffs? I obviously don't have the money to pay in full or I would to make them go away.

Comment

Do not let him in Stop worrying tonight the bailiff will not be be taking anything from you if he does not get in the house lock the doors and windows hide any car you may have.
              speak to the council and come back for advice plenty of it from those who can help sorry I can only give this help.

Comment

I'm scared he'll start hammering on the door and the kids will get upset. So many different scenarios goin round in my head

Comment

Originally posted by Vickyc View Post
                  Any idea what this paperwork is? Is he planning on making a list of my possessions? Ah god I'm so scared I don't want the kids here and I've a feeling the council will just tell me I have to deal with the bailiffs, is there a way to force them to deal with me instead of me dealing with bailiffs? I obviously don't have the money to pay in full or I would to make them go away.
                  They can't enter your home if your downstairs windows are closed and your doors are locked. They aren't bogeymen. Be polite but firm. Ask them to leave. They can't enter your home by pushing past you. The most important thing is if they ask you if they can come in the answer is NO.
                  Go and have a look at UTube, and NO I'm not saying treat Bailiffs in any manner that you see on UTube but you have to realise how powerless they actually are. They rely on fear, and fear is power... If you have any problems come straight back here, someone is always around :tongue2:

Comment

Vicky, I have no legal knowledge but I agree with Wales above. I would try speaking to the council. I can imagine it would be distressing for you as much as the kids when he is hammering at the door so is there any way you can get out of the house at 12?

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                    ~ Anonymous

Comment

Not really got anywhere I can go with them at all tbh if I refuse him entry won't he just keep coming back throughout the day?

Comment

Can you check the date on the letter that you received 2 days ago?

Can you also confirm that it is titled "Notice of Enforcement"

Do not open the door to anyone today. By all means speak politely through the letterbox or an open window but DO NOT LET THE BAILIFF IN (if indeed he does return).

There is no need to be nasty, just say that you have been advised not to allow him into the property at this stage and that there may be an irregularity with this case that you are currently investigating.

All he can do is knock on the door-This should not frighten children. He is not going to act aggressively so don't worry too much about this. You can always go out for the day, as others have suggested.

Comment

I only received the letter that I was due a visit on weds and them he came on Thursday. That's surely not right it said I had 7 days and he came a day later.

Comment

It did say notice of enforcement and I had 7 days I threw the letter away as my mother in law was here but it did come on Wednesday and I thought I've got to to get too day when I actually have money to offer and ring and make a payment

Comment

To monday*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X