• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employers that will consider you despite suspension/misconduct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employers that will consider you despite suspension/misconduct?

Hi guys,

I have resigned pending an investigation for gross misconduct several months ago and have been trying to find a new job since. I am getting increasingly frustrated by the process - on several occasions I have been offered a position, only for it to fall through because of 'not passing the referencing process' at a later stage despite the fact that I have disclosed this has happened on my application/during the interview. My recent experience involves me being asked to be 'as open and honest as possible' about what happened, only for me to be rejected several days later after doing just that. It seems like a lose-lose situation as if I didn't provide an explanation they would probably assume the worst anyway. It's very annoying as the actual hiring managers don't seem to care until the HR gets hold of it.

I don't know if this is just a financial services thing but is anyone aware of any employers that are not so fussy about these things? Or, conversely, any that just won't consider you no matter what, saving people like me the effort of going through the entire application and interview process only to be told a month later that your offer's fallen through?
    Tags: None

Re: Employers that will consider you despite suspension/misconduct?

Surprised at this since a lot of employers these days give basic references to avoid any comeback. Good luck to you! I'm sure something will come good, given time!

Comment

Do a subject access request to your former employer seeking copies of the references they have given, at least then you can see what is being said about you.

Comment

The Data Protection Act 1998 provides an exemption for confidential references given or to be given by a data controller for specified purposes, including education, employment or training, from subject access. However, this does not apply when the data controller is the recipient of the reference.
        So if you want to see the reference as suggested, you should apply to the firms where you were seeking employment

Comment

Thank you Des, I've looked for that exemption previously and not found it. Gone straight to it now, Schedule 7, para 1.

I was going to suggest recipients, but thought it would be easier/cheaper to go to former employer.

Comment

Thanks guys, It's been suggested to me that if I want to know why HR rejected me I can request that information in writing. I'm not sure if there's much point, however? Unless the old company is making additional stuff up, instead of just putting 'resigned pending an investigation for gross misconduct' as they said they would, being told this is the problem doesn't really get me anywhere.

Comment

Did you leave with an agreed reference which mentions the investigation?

Are you able to say what the nature of the GM was?

I ask only because with that detail, some of the guys on here might be able to suggest other strategies of dealing with it. One thing is plain though, don't tell lies about it, they will bite you on the bum, you can be "economical with the truth", but not lie.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                Did you leave with an agreed reference which mentions the investigation?

Are you able to say what the nature of the GM was?

I ask only because with that detail, some of the guys on here might be able to suggest other strategies of dealing with it. One thing is plain though, don't tell lies about it, they will bite you on the bum, you can be "economical with the truth", but not lie.
                http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...411#post479411

I tried to agree on a reference but apparently my previous employer doesn't do that/wasn't willing to agree to it. I'm starting to think I should have gone through with the disciplinary hearing as it seems that even if I was dismissed the results would be the same.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X