• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need help into suing council for what i believe to be a botched up adoption i. the 80

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help into suing council for what i believe to be a botched up adoption i. the 80

Hey

I wonder if you can help me. I am planning a legal challenge to personally sue a County Council in regards to my adoption. If it was done correctly from an ethical way then i would not be adopted. But i understand that the requirements were very different in the 1980's but still having seen all of my records i believe it was done too quickly as 21 days is not enough time to get to grips with things especially as my birth mother alleged that she was unaware that she was pregnant.

Also to confirm this theory she went on to have other children the oldest was concieved before the actual court case for my adoption was done 6 :months later also it could be said that as im mixed raced it was harder but the children she gave birth to have all been mixed raced.

How do i know this?

This comes on to my second grieviance with this adoption as i was adopted only in the next town away so they would have known that at some point its potentially possible to have relations with my birth family during my childhood and this indeed did happen as my brother was also my friend for many years. Not a best friend but we know eachother and hung out and even today we are friends on facebook but he doesnt know who i really am and also i chased my biological sister trying to get a relationship with her but luckily she disregarded my advances as it could of gone very wrong.

Also my adoption records i have been given many things are inaccurate in the with the adoption i feel has given me my mental health issues and the fact its hard for me to form any type of relationship with people and i believe my life has been ruined since i have known this and kept this secret.
    There is more but that is the outset of my case.

I am wondering if this is possible as with or without a solicitor i will be trying to get this case to court but I simply can't afford solicitors so I will be LIP. But the thing is I don't know where to starts d there was one case where someone took a council for court for different reasons but won so I know its possible me to sue

.Thanks Scott
    Tags: None

Re: Need help into suing council for what i believe to be a botched up adoption i. th

Scott, I have contacted someone I know who might be interested in hearing your story in a bit more detail.

I have never heard of a case of a person suing their local council over an adoption and you would need to look into the legal processes prior to the 1989 Children's Act which would apply today. Back then, the parents were not really involved in the decision making process of the courts. Bear with me and I will see what the person I have contacted have said before I give further details.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: Need help into suing council for what i believe to be a botched up adoption i. th

Okay great, many thanks!! Yes this has never happened before, well someone did sue for not being adopted and going to care homes etc. I just think the whole situation is suss, as my records are both inaccurate and not all there, maybe it was done properly, but after reading my records and investigating I think something happened, even the person getting my records was surprised there wasn't much, and even though I had a good upbringing from my mum, not so much for me but hey, but I still feel that I would of been better off with my mum as me and my biological brother get on real good, but he don't know we brothers ...... It's strange how people attract sub consciously but thank you for passing on info and it was brief but it gets really twisted and weird. Let me know if you need more info etc. Even if the person can't help.

Comment

Also you said prior 1989, from my understanding there wasnt much law, so they reformed it? But the adoption took 21 days, and when she gave birth she said she didn't know etc and didn't want me, and I wasn't given a chance really cos in a few days she was making progress but I got shipped away ...... And also I'm sure on a ethical scale I would of thought not going to a family not more the 15 miles away, would be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by scott2310 View Post
          Also you said prior 1989, from my understanding there wasnt much law, so they reformed it? But the adoption took 21 days, and when she gave birth she said she didn't know etc and didn't want me, and I wasn't given a chance really cos in a few days she was making progress but I got shipped away ...... And also I'm sure on a ethical scale I would of thought not going to a family not more the 15 miles away, would be wrong?
          I have to be honest with you and say I am not sure how you proceed on this. I made Justice For Families aware of this thread(which is John Hemmings group).
          Ok, I am going to suggest something different because I know that there is someone else who might be able to advice you free of charge. If you have not heard of Ian Joseph's then he is someone who owns the website called "forced adoption". His knowledge of children's laws is far superior to mine and he can phone you and speak to you.

http://forced-adoption.com/contact/

Please tell me how you get on but Ian is probably the best person I can think of to ask because I have never seen this type of case before.

Comment

All Ian said was that I should rock up to my brother and sister and tell them who I was and I can sue if some if there was proof but didn't really know much more. Ws more interested in reuniting me but if I wanted to I could of done years ago I just made it more complicated

Comment

All Ian said was that I should rock up to my brother and sister and tell them who I was and I can sue if some if there was proof but didn't really know much more. Ws more interested in reuniting me but if I wanted to I could of done years ago I just made it more complicated
              Scott, thanks for posting this. I have to add that I am kinda stumped as to how to proceed because it is such a rarity that someone wants to sue their council for failures that happened in the adoption process which happened prior to the Children's Act 1989.

I wish you luck but I really do not have an answer that I can really give to you and Ian was the person that I thought might be able to suggest something to you....

Comment

Long time since I have dabbled in this but what was the reason given for your birth mother giving you up? Did you spend any time in Foster Care and/or was a Social Worker involved? Was a Guardian Ad Litem ever involved? Sorry to ask this last one but did your birth mother have a record for this type of thing or are subsequent siblings the result of an "approved" relationship? You should also ask the Council under what arrangement they took parental responsibility - did they have 100% or was it left that your birth mother could take you back at any time - many Councils did this wrong and more than a few cases had to go back to Court to make the child a Ward of Court and any decisions had to be made at a much higher level

Comment

Plodderton thanks for your reply.

I have my adoption records and its very basic, so basic it consists of a few pages and a blurred pic of me

What I have git from it is this it may be long winded but ill try get to the point.

B/M (birth mother) was in hospital and apparently didn't know she was pregnant 15 Aug I was born. She didn't want to know me, said she would hurt me if she had me. She then came to see me and hold me once. Then she named me. (slow progress) social workers called her backwards (maybe relevent) but she isbfar from that ..... 21 years old and a bit of a rebel. Left hospital and went to a family then before 1 month I was with my adopted family. The letters and visits from what I understand were with her mother so maybe she had some influence??? My adopted mum didn't want B/M to take me back (from social workers notes) and wanted the court hearing quicker ..... That's all but m grieviance is it was all quick, everything was set so no one could think. So thee was a social worker, guardian thing maybe, approved relationship?? Not sure but she claimed not to know my father, but my brother was born in the June so to say she didn't want me and have another within months and have others none which have been taken, I mean given away.

Adoption Act 1958
                  She was described as backwards and reasons were as she was in a large family and competed for attention
                  Signed for me to go into care not sure who's care though
                  It says in preliminary consent to adoption proceeding form that I should be adopted by private persons
                  States this agreement is required by Hertfordshire county council for the initiation of adoption proceedings...... Maybe briefly I was in there care but on 5th Sept I was with my adopted parents........ 10 days after birth
                  Another form states the council as the agency
                  Lots of the forms are blank questions like " what's the agreed plan" but then do the chikds parents and close relatives agree with the plan
                  And is there any evidence of mental illness is no, yet the reason for it was she was backwards as a mental illness
                  I was in hospital until 27th Aug when I was placed with foster parents
                  This small baby was received into care under C.A 1948 and placed with foster family
                  29.10.1980 have court date of 23.02.1981 this seems a long waay away ask SAL if he would be prepared to bring this date forward
                  B/M would probably have to see a probation officer who is acting as guardian for child
                  Yes I was under guardian ad litem
                  Say here which I'm pissed off about since adoption hearing adopted mother is showing reluctance about the possibility of ne contacting B/M and discovering anything about my origins. The letter of origin has been re typed three times because on each occassion she objected to references about B/M visiting me more then once. So the letter I got was basically manipulated ti make B/M bad

That snipits if the whole adoption file hope you can get something from it

Any more info let me know you can also email me on thecustomkinguk@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you for all that/ I appreciate how hard it must be to bare your soul on a public forum. It is easy for me to sit here and make comment as it is not me that is under duress.

I think I see where the Council are coming from as you mention your BM was threatening harm - it may have been said in the heat of the moment and no intention of ever carrying it out. She may also have been under peer pressure particularly from her own family. It is a natural reaction for Adopted Parents not to want you seeking your past and may make them feel they have been a failure or betrayed. At least you are better off than some who have no history they can find out about as no records exist.

Although the process may have been rushed to an extent I don't think the you will find the Council will have done much wrong. Taking Court action will probably be expensive & no doubt last quite a while. Witnesses will have to be sought which may include your BM & AM having to face each other, which could be very distessing for them. Of course the decision has to be yours but you also have to think of some of the what if's especially have you had a better life now or been deprived.

Comment

Yh for sure I had a better life, but also I haven't as I've never really connected to my family so not sure how it is to be in one, I've seen other etc but mi e is not the same. But can you tell me what it means to be Guardian et litem as it was a question you asked but cant really find answers I understand. Thanks for you help everyone!! Also I'm gonna take it to the European court of human rights I think but god knows the process

Comment

A Guardian Ad Litem is a person appointed to look after the interests of a child or maybe even an adult. If you Google the term one of the posts you will get is http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...rdian+Ad+Litem

Comment

Yh I saw those posts but they are American and state American stuff so I thought it wasn't relevent in uk

Comment

Yh I saw those posts but they are American and state American stuff so I thought it wasn't relevent in uk
                            It's pretty much the same role in the UK, Scott x

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                              It's pretty much the same role in the UK, Scott x
                              There is a Wikipedia link I believe that when you scroll down gives the situaution in other countries such as England & Wales but as MissFM says they are pretty much the same regardless if it is here, USA or Canada.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X