• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Grandparents access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandparents access

I was taken to court by my mother to gain access to my two children now aged 11 and 8. We had a very volatile relationship and after yet another outburst I finally decided that I no longer could deal with her behaviour. The stress it put upon me and my family had just gone too far. To cut a long story short she was granted legal aid before the cut off and took me to court for access. I did not deny her access and the judge agreed she could see the children for 4 hours at the beginning of each month. We had to take the children to her (a two hour round trip) and she would come to us for four additional visits she was granted in their school holidays.
    All worked fine until she firstly gave me short notice in the six week holidays to three possible dates and I could not do two due to work and we already had plans for the third. I proposed two other days and she could not do them so the additional two visits she was meant to have in the six week holidays did not take place. She wanted them carrying over to the following half term holiday but my daughter was doing a holiday club so it could not be done.
    My son plays football for a local team. He trains on a sat morn and his matches take place on a Sunday morning. This has made it awkward to do the visits as if he has a late kick off we simply cannot get to her house in time to make the visit four hours long. She has demanded we give her the four hours a month even if we have to take the children to her for an hour a week which we simply do not have time to do nor can we afford the petrol costs of so many trips to her home.
    A new job where I worked shifts also did not help as I had to cover some weekends and simply could not work and do the visit at the same time however I have now since left this job. I contacted her to advise of all the changes which meant the original agreement simply cannot be held anymore and her response was "not her problem". I offered visits in the school holidays as in reality this is the only time whilst football season is on that we can do them and again she refused them saying she wanted the original times. I said I cannot do the original times when I am working and I am not forcing my son to miss his football matches. I have asked my son which he would prefer to go to and he has said his football matches. Neither children want to go to see her in the first place. She is now taking me back to court as I have breached the original order.
    I am just wanting some advice on what is likely to happen here? I have not intentionally breached the order. I have offered alternative access which she has refused. Although I am not working right now once I do find employment I will be doing weekend shifts again due to the nature of the work I do. I do not think it is right that I stop my son doing his matches when he enjoys them and does not want to let his team down by missing them.
    I have tried to look into this matter previously as I could not afford a solicitor last time this was in court although she had one with her paid for by legal aid. (unfair one having representation and the other not). There is little advice about grandparents rights and I am worried as I have now breached this order.
    Can anybody help here?
    Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Grandparents access

Hi again Cococat

Coram Children's Legal Centre may well be of help:

http://www.childrenslegalcentre.com/...e_legal_advice

there's a lot of useful info on the website, too.

Goodness me, you're going through the mill :hug

Comment

It is not all me just the work thing and this are mine the other issues are my partners but all creating a heap of stress for us that we could do without.

Thank you I shall have a look. The whole area of grandparental access is not clear at all but it would be nice to have some clarification when you are having to represent yourself. x

Comment

Originally posted by cococat1 View Post
        It is not all me just the work thing and this are mine the other issues are my partners but all creating a heap of stress for us that we could do without.

Thank you I shall have a look. The whole area of grandparental access is not clear at all but it would be nice to have some clarification when you are having to represent yourself. x
        Grandparents don't have automatic rights of contact and have to ask the Court's permission to apply for an order, which is what your mother must have done.

You can apply to vary the order, for which you would be expected to have at least had a crack at mediation first.

http://www.nfm.org.uk/index.php/fami...lving-children

http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/up...8/CB1_1108.pdf

You could also (IMO a good idea) contact Cafcass and explain the difficulties of the present order and the strain it's putting on the children.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by cococat1 View Post
          I have asked my son which he would prefer to go to and he has said his football matches. Neither children want to go to see her in the first place.
          I cannot offer you any sound legal advice and this may not be all that helpful but I just thought you would like to know that I think your Mum is behaving very badly indeed. A truly loving grandmother would not take legal action to ‘force’ her grandchildren to see her. Is she stupid enough to believe that taking her daughter to court and waving legal documents about will make her grandchildren love and respect her? Have you tried pointing out to her that once these children reach adulthood and can no longer be forced to spend time with her they will resent and even hate her for the distress she has caused them and you? If they do not want to go to see her have they told her so?

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X