• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Child Passport Renewal Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Passport Renewal Issue

I hope that someone is able to assist:

My daughter (aged 10) started to live with me full time in March 2014.

Last week I tried to get my daughter's passport off her mother. On numerous occasions (verbally and in writing) she refused.

I contacted the Passport Office to enquire about the situation and report the passport as lost. They informed me that I could not report the passport as lost when I knew where it was.

I report the passport as stolen to the police. As helpful as they were they said there was no act of theft. The policewoman did speak to the mother and the mother stated that the passport had been destroyed. The police recorded this.

I rang the passport office to report the destruction of the passport. They stated that I could not report the passport as lost as I did not sign the original application. I asked them what they were going to do about the destruction - they said nothing. They stated were even able to give me a reference number for the telephone call.

I have written an email of complaint to the passport office.

I am told that the matter is a civil one. I have tried the professional mediation process previously - the mother failed to make an appointment for the 2nd meeting.

I am faced with a huge solicitor fee for trying to recover the old passport (which may not even exist) and applying for a replacement passport for which I did not sign the original application.

I can find little legislation or procedures on these matters.

I did not get legal aid in custody matters so I am not expecting to be eligable for legal aid in this matter. It would seem that there is only justice in this country for those who can afford it!

Any knowledgable advice would be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Jon
    Tags: None

Re: Child Passport Renewal Issue

But you cannot take the child overseas unless you have the parental support(excluding limited period to countries who are within the Hague Convention). How long does the passport last?(if the mother did this then it would expire after 5 years if it is a child passport)
    What reason do you need the passport?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi and welcome toLB

The procedure about Children's lost or stolen passports is set out here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...xam-policy.pdf
      Here's the relevant excerpt:
      Our normal one passport per person policy applies to children, and examiners
      will need to take care a passport is not being declared lost or stolen in order to
      circumvent our published policy.
      If the application and/or LS record shows that the passport is ‘held’ or ‘stolen’
      by the other parent, the passport is not lost or stolen, as either parent can
      apply and hold a passport for their child provided they have parental
      responsibility. It will be for the applicant to retrieve the passport from the
      other party. If necessary the applicant will need to be told to seek legal advice
      with a view to retrieving the passport through the issue and enforcement of a
      Specific Issue Order made under the Children Act 1989.
      An application to replace a lost or stolen child’s passport must be checked in
      the exactly the same way as an adult's. In addition, the signature of the
      parent applying for the original passport must be compared with that on the
      replacement application form. If the record is on, the image will need to be
      viewed to do this. Where the signature on the application form and the LS
      Record is not that of the parent who applied for the original passport, the
      written confirmation of the loss of theft must be obtained from the parent who
      originally applied for passport facilities (unless that parent is deceased in
      which case evidence of death must be submitted). The standard 159 text
      advising the applicant that the passport has been cancelled and is not valid
      for travel must be sent. Where the original passport was applied for by a
      parent, not the current applicant, a copy of the letter should also be sent to
      them.
      If the whereabouts of the person who applied for the original passport is
      unknown, there is little point in attempting to obtain a court order as it will be
      unable to be served. In these circumstances we need evidence that every
      avenue has been explored to enable contact with the missing person - for
      example, evidence of contact with the Child Support Agency (CSA) - contact with the missing person’s family who can provide written confirmation that
      their relative’s whereabouts are unknown, all detailed in a statutory
      declaration confirming the actions taken. Before making a request for a
      statutory declaration, the applicant must be warned that a statutory
      declaration is a legal document and that knowingly making a false declaration
      is a criminal offence. Once all the evidence has been received, details must
      be case noted and the application referred to a team leader with a proposal to
      accept.
      Where the child’s passport has expired and has not subsequently been
      replaced, it will be irrelevant which parent applies for the replacement
      passport as there is no danger of breaching our one passport per person
      policy.
      If the child was previously included on a parent’s passport, their application
      should not be classed as a replacement passport, but as a first time
      application, and the one passport per person policy applies."

It seems the only way forward is a Specific Issue order made under The Children Act 1989

I think you need to complete a form C100 and send it to the court with £215 fee (ouch!)

If this was already known to you my apologies, but I know of no way round the passport rules.
      I take it that your daughter's mother would not sign a declaration that she had destroyed the passport?

Comment

Thanks des8 - you have already been more help and are more informed than the passport office (PO)!

The attached is very useful - at least it explains the "rules of the game".

No the mother will not freely declare the passport as "lost".

It would appear that if I apply for a replacement, the PO will check the signatures, find them not to be the same - then it would follow that the PO would contact the mother (copying me in) and she would be obliged to declare to them that the passport is either lost or exists?

Then dependent on the outcome, a SI may be needed.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks leclerc

I accept the point re parental support - this will be the next battle - but ultimately the mother will have to obtain a court order to prevent me - and have to justify her reasons.

I believe the passport has already expired. I understood that expired or not the passport had to be returned?

Ironically I need the passport so that my daughter can visit her maternal grandmother in spain - the maternal grandmother cannot travel because of health issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=jondurrant;508210]Thanks leclerc
            I believe the passport has already expired. I understood that expired or not the passport had to be returned?

Passport office must be aware the document has expired so this section applies:
            "Where the child’s passport has expired and has not subsequently been
            replaced, it will be irrelevant which parent applies for the replacement
            passport as there is no danger of breaching our one passport per person
            policy."

good luck

Comment

Noted with thanks des8.

Comment

For the benefit of others who maybe faced with the same situation:

On review of the passport application form; I am required to declare and return the uncancelled passport - I cannot declare it as lost because I did not sign the original form!

Therefore I have sent the requisite pre-action protocol letter giving the mother one last opportunity to cooperate before I issue proceedings for a Specific Issue Order under the Children Act 1989.

Just to complicate matters even further I have to comply with the Family Court's mediation rules - I am hoping that the previous mediator will sign the exemption form on the basis that the mother did not attend actively engage in previous attempts at mediation.

It would appear that the laws of this country have evolved in such a way that reasonable people face an almost impossible struggle to obtain justice against unreasonable people - unless of course they can afford to instruct solicitors on £100's/hour!

Comment

Yes and what did you expect . There has always been one law for the rich and another for the poor . The legal aid system built to help has been dismantled by the Tories , it is part of their ongoing plan to entirely dismantle the welfare state and return us to a situation where there is a small rich elite and a massive struggling destitute poor . It may take a revolution . Those of us who saw the writing on the wall with thatcher have been fighting the Tories ever since .

Comment

Keen for this thread to stay on topic so that it might be of some use to others in the same situation but thanks seduraed for your post.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X