• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Am I going to jail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to jail?

About a month and a half ago I discovered my coworker and friend was having an affair with my husband. I was angry and hurt and I lashed out at her. I downloaded a free texting app called pinger and text now. I did not use my real information. I sent her many texts telling her I knew what she did and that she should die
    A week ago I received a call from a police officer (he is a confirmed police officer) asking me what I know about the texts. He told me that he was going to subpeona the texting apps. He told me he would find out who was doing it.

I immediately stopped all communication with her.

My question is, was he trying to scare me to stop?
    And two, since I stopped will they follow through with the subpeona?

Am I going to jail?
    Please help me, I can't sleep. I know I was wrong

Tags: None

Re: Am I going to jail?

Hi and welcome to LB

Firstly,IMO most unlikely, even if they do trace you, that you would be sent to jail, as it's (presumably) a first offence and given the circumstances.
    As there was more than one message you would probably be charged with an offence contrary to section 2 or 4 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
    The court can then put you under a restraining order not to contact the other person and breaking that order can lead to a 5 year jail term.

Here's a link to a case with similar overtones where the offender walked free http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ndreds-8065535

Whether or not police can access PINGER data records etc I haven't a clue.

Hope you manage to sort out the horrible situation you find yourself in

Comment

Hi

The most serious matter here is what can be construed as a "death threat" which is always taken very seriously and no the officer is not in the business of trying to scare you. I guess a statement has been made to the police regarding the texts which may amount to harassment.

I doubt a custodial sentence is likely if this goes before the magistrates there is a long way to go before that: You have not been arrested and cautioned and interviewed as yet.
      Did you take the officers name? Did he offer his " collar number"?

Comment

Hi and I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. How are things with you now? I don't think you could go to jail just for that but I agree with nemesis45.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X