• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

6mth 'not responsible' rule by mail-order firm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6mth 'not responsible' rule by mail-order firm

The sum of money involved is not large, but the principle seems likely to encourage malpractice. Late last Feb. I made an order (firm dealt with before) and was told that two items were out of stock and would follow later. An undamaged parcel on April 24th contained one of them, but no information about the other, nor was any info sent me online. Busy meantime with family illness, I emailed in early Dec to remind them one item was still due me. To my surprise I was told that since 6mths had intervened, the firm had no responsibility to fulfil the order. Can this be correct?
    Tags: None

Re: 6mth 'not responsible' rule by mail-order firm

Hi Welcome,
    Were two items paid for?
    Name & Shame the company!!
    We need to see if there are unfair terms and conditions here.

Comment

My answer to them would be the statute of limitations act is 6 years, so if I sue you for the fact you took payment but failed to deliver, how well do you think your company policy 6 month would stand up against the SoL?

Unless they can prove the missing items was delivered, they don't have a leg to stand on, IMHO!

Comment

Thanks, all. The company are Coopers of Stortford, with an attractive range of DIY/lifestyle merchandise - previously I bought my brother a trailer for his bike as a 6Oth birthday present. This time, I again paid by debit card, and have had the '6mths' reply from both a junior and then, when I remonstrated, from the Customer Services manager. I have now written to ask the firm to send their evidence that the missing item was despatched (as they just say it 'would have' been) and to send me a copy of this company policy of 'no responsibility after 6 months'. I will let you know what happens.

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Hi Welcome,
        Were two items paid for?
        Name & Shame the company!!
        We need to see if there are unfair terms and conditions here.

Comment

Good morning Corinna,

The response from Coopers is inadequate to say the least.

Did you by any chance respond by making a formal complaint to Coopers?

A companies " policy" cannot overcome the CPUTR and I would suggest you have a read of the regulations and formulate a Formal Complaint which compels Coopers to fully investigate and respond within 56 days.

Avoid customer (dis) service and address the complaint to a director and include a statement that you will refer the matter to Coopers local Trading Standards Dept.

Tracey Reed is Coopers MD. so address to her!

nem

Comment

When you sent me this advice - many thanks- I had written again, asking for evidence that Coopers had sent the item (e.g. in-parcel note, email to me - neither of which I had received) and also for a copy of the firm's policy of 'no enquiries/goods/refunds' after 6 months. Instead Customer Services sent mockups of the correspondence they 'would have sent' me . and a message that, because they 'were anxious to bring the matter to a close', they would send the goods . Goods have now arrived, and I have thanked them for their re-consideration, but pointing out I was still concerned about the 6months rule (- which was not clarified for me). So - I am ok, but should I still write to MD Tracey Reed, for the sake of other customers?

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            Good morning Corinna,

The response from Coopers is inadequate to say the least.

Did you by any chance respond by making a formal complaint to Coopers?

A companies " policy" cannot overcome the CPUTR and I would suggest you have a read of the regulations and formulate a Formal Complaint which compels Coopers to fully investigate and respond within 56 days.

Avoid customer (dis) service and address the complaint to a director and include a statement that you will refer the matter to Coopers local Trading Standards Dept.

Tracey Reed is Coopers MD. so address to her!

nem

Comment

Hi yes do so, my guess is Ms Read will be more than interested.44

Good result!!

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X