• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hmrc self assesment penalties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmrc self assesment penalties

Good evening All

I am looking for some assistance if anyone can advise
    I walked away from my business in September 2012 ( approx.) advised and gave my Accountants firm who dealt with all the HMRC and returns since 2008.
    I have tried contacting the HMRC since receiving letters of an outstanding none filled return as they were not done online.

I have since only managed to be held on the phone while trying to call during breaks at my new employment.

I have since had letters regarding this debt and tried to contact my old accountants who have not responded as yet.
    Now they are advising me that my tax from my employment can be altered to pay this debt plus interest. I never heard from these at all last year and as far as I was concerned the Company was over and done.

I have compiled a letter so far ready to post to HMRC with my accountants details included and proof of telephone calls and emails to the website, They have all the information to my old company they have the only documentation regarding the accounts and details for revenue online payments.

I know this is my fault for not looking more into my company being dormant or closed looking back I was not in the best frame of mind and needed some much needed down time.

This has now come to light and need some final closure on this and as everyone else do not have the money to have a company do this for me no longer

Thank you for your time in reading this and any assistance would be very grateful

Best Regards
    Lee
    Tags: None

Re: Hmrc self assesment penalties

How much is owing it it a penalty and interest or an outstanding Tax bill

Comment

Hi Walesman

This is the statement of liabilities

05-04-13 SA LATE FILING PENALTY
      TAX £100.00
      INTEREST T O01-12-2014 £2.04

05-04-13 SA DAILY PENALTY
      TAX £900.00
      INTEREST TO 01-12-2014

05-04-2013 SA 6 MONTH LATE FILING PENALTY
      TAX £300.00
      TOTAL UNPAID AMMOUNT £1307.07
      OCCURING DAILY INTEREST 0.09P

2013 SA OUTSTANDING RETURN

I have tried to make this read as much as I can from the info

Hope this helps
      Lee

Comment

is there a letter template I can write to HMRC explaining this - I have drafted one need to know if there is any issues with specific details I have to include - My accountants are proving a task to reply to me also

again many thanks
        Lee

Comment

Do you agree you owe all this Money the accounts for those years should have been filed or did you not have accounts done if you paid the Accountants for those accounts you could now send them into HMRC with a letter .
          Your accountants should answer questions regarding tax liabilities during the years they were working and being paid by you .

Comment

For what its worth I helped a friend with their self assessment tax debt....which by reading your story cococat1 was much more bigger than yours.....and he is now debt free from his debt.

He also was self employed...left his job, and due to a lot of family problems did not keep up with his paperwork......although he did fill out forms to say that he did stop working as self employed....but HMRC claimed they never received it. This saga went on a few years...and HMRC appointed debt collectors who also chased my friend who by this time became very stressed and ill over the debt which built up to over £3,000.00.

Cut a long story short and after reading alot of info on the net I suggested he had nothing to lose by putting in a late appeal against the debt which was all built up of penalties. To be honest I was not expecting such a good response but thought there was nothing wrong with giving it one last shot at trying to sort out my freind's debt problem. He had tried several times with the DCA's to reach an agreement and try and pay in installments but they were not accepting his proposals. Although they were not as bad in corresponding as some DCA's....but that did not help as they debt was rising each more and more.

The appeal that we made against the penalties was accepted by HMRC......my friend wrote a very open and honest letter about all the problems he was suffering and why he did not send the returns when he should have.....and I think HMRC genuinely believed that this was a good enough reason and wrote off all his debt.

I have personally had to deal with HMRC when they wanted to put a charging order on my house., and after writing to them detailing what I was going through...they withdrew their application, and what a relief that was. I know we hear a lot of stories about how bad HMRC can be but my personal experience with them has been good, and would suggest if you could write to them doing the same, after all you have nothing to lose hey?

The joy of my friend's face when he read the appeal response was worth it, and I could have taken a picture and framed how happy he was. In fact he had to read it several times and get sevearl people to read and confirm that HMRC really had written off his debt.

See what others have to say also, this is just what I did to help......good luck to whatever you decide.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Me personally was in a very similar situation with the below reply so decided to walk away from everything as it was killing me to be fair 16 hours a day 6 days a week etc etc , overdraft pulled from the bank and became increasingly difficult to please all and earn an honest living .
              I went to see my accountant who has now not replied to me in the last 3 days !! you have to leave voicemails for call back and my emails no replies.
              I asked for closure and walked away to a new start - if nothing had happened as he owed me overpayments and said he would do his best and advise all regarding my company therefore hearing nothing from him also lost all interest - I believe this was all cleared with no problems
              What about the below as I have spoken to corperation tax before for extensions which was granted due to personal reasons in the last year of my business

L

Comment

Many thanks for this , as a small brief intro in to me walking away from my business which does not need to be discussed there are may more contributing facts to me walking away , I have also emailed 10 downing street begging basically in the past and was granted extensions.
                I really am at a loosened on this one now and was going to be honest and explain my situation and see where honesty took me and hoped for some sensible action
                thanks for the letter references also
                L

Comment

Hi all - so on this case we are agreed I should contact the HMRC in letter format and explain my full circumstances in why this has happened and why I have walked away from the business - Also including all my Accountants details ( who still have not replied to my contact calls and emails ) advising I was in credit and they agreed to close the business with my credit monies.
                  I am also stuck in providing any details as the accountants still have the memory stick with all sage accounts on as its impossible for me to return to my place of rental property to trace the paper copies as these by now will have been thrown out with the rest of my possession's.

bearing in mind this is now over 2 years since this occurred any help would be helpful as this week as I need to make efforts in contacting via letter and may I take this opportunity in thanking everyone so far in all assistance
                  br
                  L

Comment

Good evening All

I have finally had an update on this one - My accountant has finally got in touch after I spent hours waiting for HMRC.
                    They have written off my penalties for 2014 and 15.
                    Accountant submitted the self assessment and waiting to hear back in a couple of weeks fingers crossed this gets resolved as it showed I had overpaid by a couple of hundred pounds and then started at my employment now.

I am currently on a T tax code and skint but hey I thought it might be worth an update

All the best
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by cococat1 View Post
                      I have finally had an update on this one - My accountant has finally got in touch after I spent hours waiting for HMRC.
                      They have written off my penalties for 2014 and 15.
                      Accountant submitted the self assessment and waiting to hear back in a couple of weeks fingers crossed this gets resolved as it showed I had overpaid by a couple of hundred pounds and then started at my employment now.

I am currently on a T tax code and skint but hey I thought it might be worth an update
                      That's excellent news! :clap2: :clap2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X